Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GI issue H&R Model 12 (as opposed to the Commercial Issue) with the standard Redfield Olympic Peep Sights. I've been researching scope mounts and have so far determined that several years ago Ken Viani Brand mounts were the answer, however, he has not made this mount in years (per his return email) and was wondering if anyone knows where one could be obtained. Secondly, for anyone who owns an H&R Model 12 as well as a Winchester 52 or 52C, do they have the same government specs and are they identical in design? Thank you for the assistance and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have a GI issue H&R Model 12 (as opposed to the Commercial Issue) with the standard Redfield Olympic Peep Sights. I've been researching scope mounts and have so far determined that several years ago Ken Viani Brand mounts were the answer, however, he has not made this mount in years (per his return email) and was wondering if anyone knows where one could be obtained. Secondly, for anyone who owns an H&R Model 12 as well as a Winchester 52 or 52C, do they have the same government specs and are they identical in design? Thank you for the assistance and suggestions.
Scope mount will be the same type as the Winchester 52 since they use the same receiver tube diameter, here is a link to a Picatinny rail mount.
Picatinny Rail Mount
The Winchester 52 and 52C share nothing in common really with the M12 besides tube diameter, caliber and possibly sights. Was your M12 a CMP aquisition? They are great rifles. I will include a manual for the M12 as well as how to disassemble the bolt to clean it and how to adjust headspace with shims..

Attachments

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I also own a Hand R m12 very fine rifle have shot some impressive groups with it seems to like the R.W.S. target ammo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you JW for your suggestions and the links. I'm planning on placing an order with OpticsPlanet for the Picatinny Rail. I've also been considering the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm Riflescope (Lifetime Guarantee) as the scope of choice for my Model 12 and was wondering about your opinion of the variable power. I own a copy of the H&R book so I have the bolt disassembly instructions, but I did not have head space adjustment directions so thank you, again. No, I did not buy my Model 12 from CMP. I picked it up on Gun Broker. The rifle is in "as new condition," but the Redfield Peep Sights have seen some use based on their finish. I've been hooked on .22RF since I was in the 8th grade. While my friends were starting to go to dances, I was going to my local Fish & Game Club where we learned to shoot using surplus Winchester 52's. I was a bit nostalgic when I started looking for the Model 12. I also have a Kimber 82, but I have not shot it more than once. I appreciate your opinions.

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
@TXplt what about moving this to rimfire forum, or H&R forum, or something like that . . .

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I have an H&R Leatherneck 22 semi-auto. They were used as a training rifle in the 1940s . It has a Redfield adjustable peep sight and It's a tack driver. Love those old H&R 22s. I'd love to to have a model 12 !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts