Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few lever action Henry rifles myself. I put a single shot 223 on Law a way today. Was wondering if any of you have bought the new line of rifles or shotguns. I was also looking at the pump action 22, 410 lever action shotgun and the 45-70 single shot. The new single shot shotguns seem too pricey to me. Any of you have one and what are your thoughts.?

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
I don't have any experience with them. Sure interested to see what you think of them when you get your hands on it though.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I’m really interested in the Henry 45-70 single shot. Especially since HR is no longer :(
So you were looking at the H&R Buffalo Classic? Have one and I really like it. Also have the Henry .45-70 which is a fine smooth action shooter.
As for the single shot Henrys, if they are as good as their lever actions they are probably nice rifles. Just picked up their lever in .223 so probably will not get that. But if I do break down I might possibly get a single shot in .308.
Next Henry will probably be a .410 lever is what I am thinking at this time. Or the .22 pump with the octagonal barrel I really like too.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I bought a Henry octagon barrel .22 LR for my retirement gift to myself 4 years ago. Got a Skinner peep sight for it. I bought it so I could shoot CB's and bird shot at the pesty chipmunks around here that build nests in vehicles, eat wiring and are just generally a nuisance. It's built very well but needs to be shot more to smooth it out. Paid a premium price at the time because they were hard to find then.
When Henry builds a Long Ranger in .338 Federal I'll get on the list for one. 30.06 energy in a short action lever made by Henry. Who would not want one ?

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you were looking at the H&R Buffalo Classic? Have one and I really like it. Also have the Henry .45-70 which is a fine smooth action shooter.
As for the single shot Henrys, if they are as good as their lever actions they are probably nice rifles. Just picked up their lever in .223 so probably will not get that. But if I do break down I might possibly get a single shot in .308.
Next Henry will probably be a .410 lever is what I am thinking at this time. Or the .22 pump with the octagonal barrel I really like too.
Ii have always wanted one of the H&R Buffalo 45/70's. Hard to get your hands on one no matter what the price. After I get the Henry 223/5.56 and see how it works and shoots for me I will surely be looking at the 45/70. Was eyeing it up online last night

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the Buffalo Classic.
Every now and then one pops up here or there. The price is inflated of course.
Jerry I have always wanted one of them. I believe they only made so many and could not even order one when they were being produced. Not sure how to find one. I have never seen any at a gun show. I don't do the online auction sites. I will have to settle for the single shot henry maybe. We will see. They run about $400-$420 here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Henry single shot .308 purchased April 2018 had to go back to the factory at Rice Lake to repair a glitch in the trigger. Turn around time for repair was less than 2 weeks. The glitch was repaired but the trigger pull weight is still excessive at 6 lbs. Another lawyer trigger! Cosmetically the rifle is a beauty. Mechanically it's well below my expectations. The CVA Scout rifles offer a much better trigger and are just as accurate despite their utilitarian appearance. If Savage, Ruger, Mossberg, Tikka and others can include an adjustable pull trigger on their rifles, why not Henry. This defect doesn't bode well for the future of this rifle and shotgun product line. I give it a manufacturing life span of 3~4 years unless there's a reasonable change. Otherwise it will join other unsuccessful offerings that shooters eventually ignore. BTW, my professional gunsmith won't attempt to change the pull weight because spare parts aren't available yet. He doesn't want to take the chance of making a mistake and rendering the rifle unusable. Good luck if you buy one! Mine is going to sit in the gun cabinet, hoping for a better trigger sometime in the future.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
When Henry builds a Long Ranger in .338 Federal I'll get on the list for one. 30.06 energy in a short action lever made by Henry. Who would not want one ?
People that like their shoulders?

J/K;)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I’ve got one of the case hardened 45/70 lever actions from Henry. It’s nice enough. I keep threatening to take it elk hunting, but then I remember I have this nice lightweight Ruger bolt action...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts