Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about having my old 870 camouflaged by the dipping process. I'm looking at having TreBark Second Skin applied to it. It would be about $150 for dipping the receiver and barrel. I'm just wanting to know if anyone has had it done and whether you liked it or not.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,029 Posts
Nope - I'm in the process of camoing mine now by the old-fashioned "spray bomb" method. The OD Green I put on about five years ago has gotten worn. I'm using an undercoat of "Black Texture Paint", followed by the camo colors, to be finished up with a coat of Poly Satin.

Once your Dip job is done, post some pics - I saw an article about this a couple years back, and have wondered about long-term reliability.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,378 Posts
what kind of 870? if it is a wingmaster, I'd leave it alone, even if the finish is not too good. An express I'd tinker with. Then again the cammo gun can be had pretty cheap. If it's a hunting gun & glare is the issue, I'd go Big Dog's route. Down & dirty cheap and effective.
As we say, just my .02

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a the Expree magnum in 12ga. It is my down and dirty mud gathering duck stomper. I sprayainted it with a camo job using pine needles for a stencil. I covered that with a lacquer spray. It is pretty hard, but not completely scratch proof. I was just thinking of having it done professionally. I also have a Browning Citori in 12ga, but I always grab the 870, I just love the gun.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,378 Posts
If you want someting more durable and still go with a paint, look for someone who paints military gear. Ask about CARC paint. It works like a urethane so ther e is an isocyanite. Shewinn williams sells a water borne version, but i'm not sure if they will sell to the general public or sell that small of an amount.

A flat epoxy or urethane may work too. Once you get it on the gun it won't come off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I havn't had mine done yet but it will be done soon at Trebark. They are here in the same area as me. Good people and great work. I have known many people to have their gun dipped and they love it. No signs of wear on their guns, mostly turkey hunters who bust through brush during spring. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts