close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has This Happened To You??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I went shooting today. Took my M1 carbine. I had just put another stock on it, as the stock needed replaced. I laid it on the table, and was just getting ready to load it when "The Expert" stopped to look at it. He proceeded to inform me that my carbine was a commercial copy (Nat'l Ord), and that the stock was for a G.I. Saginaw. He said it was people like me that caused problems for the "purists", as he was sure that someone out there was looking for that exact stock, and wasn't going to be able to get it because I had put it on a "copy". I politely asked him if he knew of the guy looking for this stock personally. Of course, he didn't know him personally, but he "just knew". I informed him that if he would like the stock, he could buy it from me. WOULDN"T BUY IT BECAUSE HE DIDN"T OWN A CARBINE!!!!! Is that funny, or what?? I just picked up my carbine, and started tapping away.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Calvin, you'll find snobs ("purists") in every area of interest. Some of my guns I try to keep as original as possible if they have real historical or monetary value. Others, I'll change or modify things to suit me. It's my gun, and I have certain preferences. I'll do a little personalizing here and there, and if a self-styled purist doesn't like it, tough noodles. Some of my ideas work, some don't, but it keeps me happy. Just enjoy your Carbine. Wish I had one, but they're a little expensive in this neck o' the woods.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

You're exactly right, Big Dog. My carbine needed a new stock, so I ordered one. I didn't care who it was made by as the carbine is commercial. I'm like you-if you want to change something, then go ahead. Matter of fact, the carbine came with an underfolder. I bought my first stock to replace that one, so I could save the underfolder. I used to shoot it at the range with the underfolder, but got tired of people asking me to sell it to them. I broke the second stock about a month ago on a guy who tried to steal my truck. Logic dictates a replacement stock to shoot it, so I ordered this one, and then this idiot comes along. I had to fight the urge to make a third stock purchase, as it came VERY close.
    As a side note, this idiot had an AR15, and was really thumping along with it, trying to show off. I had reached my breaking point, and so did my brother-in-law. As I was getting up to tell him what I thought of him, the Powers That Be stepped in. About halfway through his 10th mag, the bottom blew out of the mag. He didn't get hurt too bad, just a little singed on his pants. Immediately, he gathered up his stuff and left. I was satisfied........

4. Eff him!!!!!!!! If you like your carbine then who is he to tell you your business. It's not for monetary gain and if he doesn't like it, too bad!! Happy shooting. :D

5. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

I was going to post a reply, but Skippy put it a lot more politely than I could have. I HATE a snob of any kind.

6. Same for me calvin,

I hate purists! not that they cannot be one but don't start telling everyone how they should use, modify or shoot your gun!:mad:

Just look at my idea for converting my M1. that snob would go bannanas I he saw my conversion!:p

The snob got what he deserved, hope he has to buy an new AR-15!:D (stupid, punk: I just hate those guys. sorry)

MADMAX

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

the "X-pert" has GONADS.....

imagine that telling a man with a gun what a jerk he and his piece is!!! way to go Calvin.:D

8. wes

wes G&G Newbie

My carbine was a "presentation" rifle. I 'm sure it was presented to some GI who opened doors with it,dragged it through the mud,ran over it with a truck,and used a hammer to customize the stock. I replaced worn parts with the best I could find and they don't match,but it shoots good and is reliable. Just like the Government did when it came time to re-build one. To me,"pure" means never having been re-built,and there's very few of those out there.

9. Don't worry about it Calvin. If he were a genuine expert he would know in the first place that carbines are not the first choice for someone having a "collection". What I mean by collection is : rare lugers, Sam Colt's No.1, Theodore Roosevelt's personal sidearm, etc. The m1 carbine has its rarities to be fair but not that many. I own two and I personally think they are two of the best guns ever made. I can't imagine any other gun that is .30cal and you can shoot all day and not beat you to death. And they are handy to have have around when you get a mass wave of empty pepsi and coke cans staring at you. As far as I am concerned Calvin, your taste in weapons is commendable and keep up the good work.

10. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

You should have started tapping away on his forehead with the gunbutt...but you probably have more common sense than me!!! :insane: :jaw: ;) :)

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I like your attitude, Joe. I thought about it, and my brother-in-law was gonna go off on him big time. But, we just kept staring at him while he tried to tap out the William Tell Overture on his AR. That just egged him on, and he was the one who had a blow-out. I guess it does pay to be patient at times...:D

12. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Karma! (ha)

13. I'd like to think I'm a tolerant person but I'm afraid I don't think I could've been as nice to that idiot as Calvin was.

I might have said something like, "Haven't I seen your picture on a poster as a valid arguement for mandatory abortion?" or "You're a prime example of a complete waste of human plasma." or "If God ever, indeed, did make a mistake I'm looking at him." or somethings similar to those comments.

And, if that didn't work I kinda like Joe's ideas.

I can honestly say that I haven't run into an self-centered-know-it-all-bandstanders at the range but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I've had many people come and talk to me about my assortment of rifles I've taken there but they have been those seeking honest information about them.

I do know it's somewhat annoying when you're seated, shooting, and someone comes up from behind you, taps you on the shoulder and loudly asks, "What kinda gun is that"? lol

Hang in there Calvin. You're a good man.....in some ways, better than I woulda been.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2002
  14. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

What was really funny about this is that my step-son looked at me and asked "What's this guys' problem? Doesn't he realize you have him outgunned?". I had taken a few other toys with me to the range that day, and it was a valid point. It's just funny to hear that from a 10 year-old.
    Dale, appreciate the kind words. When the moron said he didn't even own a carbine, my first thought was it would take 3 weeks to get another stock when I finished with that guy, and was it worth the price of the stock to buttstroke him upside his head.

15. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Next time take an M1 Garand with you,they make better buttstrokers than a carbine,or put the bayonet on it while he's talking.

16. How many times did you tap the dumb ******* across the forehead? My tongue is half an inch shorter from biting when the expert tells me what I have and how much its worth. I naturally ask him how long he has been collecting and the usual reply is, Oh I just bought an original General Motors or a Blue Sky model. I have 41 GI and 11 commercial variants so far and I have well over 100 GI Carbines to go to get one of every variation. Haven't a clue on how many variations of commercial Carbines were made or are still being made. Bite your tonge and keep shooting...

17. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Hey Landtrain,I have an owner's manual and warranty card for a late Universal,in the envelope. Any collector interest in it?

18. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

Ohio
    Hey guys, take it easy on us "purists". I like my carbines in as near as built condition as I can possibly get them. I even enjoy restoring them. But there is a major difference between a purist collector and an outright jerk! If someone wants to know what is wrong with his carbine and how best to restore it, I'm more than happy to work with him but, I don't got criticizing someone just because they have a commercial carbine or an import marked one. That is none of my GD business. I've had some of these self appointed "experts" come up to me and tell me that my early original (and I do mean 100% original) underwood is a bad restoration because it has an import mark! Like I said, that guy was a jerk, not any expert.

Definition of an expert? X is an unknown quantity, and a spurt is an uncontrollable drip.