close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you ever used the lanyard on your gun?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I've noticed a lot of lanyard loops on guns. Just curious if anyone has ever found a need to actually use their lanyard loop & if so, when & why?

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

In the Air Cav, if we didn't tie it to us, it went out the door. Smokes, helmets, and....

One I didn't tie me in. Out the door I went, Me, M-60, and my 38 lanyarded under my arm. Splash in a paddy. Ah such fun memories. Tie it or loose it :)

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    yup,
    mainly a combat feature to keep from loosing your gun. some claim it can be used to steady the pistol. I don't put much stock in that though.

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

I'm so tickled that somebody other than me is asking that question!! I've never seen anyone use it, I understand it's reason for being there, but really! who's going to tie a four foot string on a gun and expect it to do a darn thing? I say four foot, b/c I'm six three, and four foot would be the min. length I'd need to shoot all the way around me, and switch hands. (hear's one to hurt feelings) The only people I can see really using it and depending on it are the English.

5. I saw a guy use a lanyard that he made for his S&W 41. He had bad arthritus in his shoulders and it helped him hold the gun up while he was shooting.

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Nope, never used mine.I would if I was Airbourne though!

7. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Well yeah, I do see a military application or even a SWAT application, but civilian? I guess they help my my pistols more 'TACTICAL' :D

8. BIG GAME

WHEN SOME OF THE LARGER CAL HAND GUNS CAME OUT IT WAS THE VOUGE TO USE A STRAP OR LANYARD TO HELP SUPPORT THE WEIGHT AT FULL EXTENSION.BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY IN A LONG TIME.

DANA

9. My dad used to carry the grenade launcher for his squad. He would hold the front grip is his left hand and a C&L 1911A1 in the right. If necessary, the lanyard allowed him to drop the .45 and bring the launcher into action that much faster.

I've never used one in civilian life myself. Neither has he.