Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is everyone's opinion. What is the best VALUE as far as AK rifles go. Only have to meet one requirement, and that is that this gun has to be durable and dependable enough to last you the rest of your life....even after the SHTF in November!!!

Brand, Model and why you chose it???

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I have only ever had one AK, and that is my Century Hungarian M63 para underfolder with the milled reciever. It shoots way better than an AK is supposed to, is
29027953_10215832523755418_2475976974349167847_n.jpg
rock solid and is fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
So what is everyone's opinion. What is the best VALUE as far as AK rifles go. Only have to meet one requirement, and that is that this gun has to be durable and dependable enough to last you the rest of your life....even after the SHTF in November!!!

Brand, Model and why you chose it???
Wasn't pleased with the WASR 10 I had, at 50 yards it would put 3 shots in about 2 inches and the last 2 shots of a 5 shot group did what ever they wanted. I traded it for an SKS

It depends on if you want a "Target Rifle" or a tough, reliable "battle gun" that shoots "minute of bad guy."

WASR10 works plenty well for "minute of bad guy" and it is relatively inexpensive, compared to rifle that are more accurate. YMMV

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
It depends on if you want a "Target Rifle" or a tough, reliable "battle gun" that shoots "minute of bad guy."

WASR10 works plenty well for "minute of bad guy" and it is relatively inexpensive, compared to rifle that are more accurate. YMMV
When I got it I was thinking 4 to 6 inch groups at 100 yards, it wouldn't do that at 50. The SKS does better than that.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
When I got it I was thinking 4 to 6 inch groups at 100 yards, it wouldn't do that at 50. The SKS does better than that.
Well, you got one of the "clunkers." The three different ones I had, ALL shot 2-3 MOA, out to 300 yards, with Wolf ammo.

·
Super Moderator
16,917 Posts
If you can find one (Obama banned them in 2014 and Trump expanded the ban) one of the pre import ban Izhmash AK74s. They were imported through Arsenal and a few others. but they were the real deal AK74s (minus the full auto) the Russian army used and manufactured in the same plant.

I got one before the bans and I use mine as a shooter vs a collectors Item.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
I like the Hungarian SA85M which is similar to cjleete's but with the stamped receiver made by FEG, mine is the underfolder as well and it really shoots well. I like the WASR-2 made in Romania chambered in 5.45 they have no flash-hider no bayonet lug..mine has the side mounted scope(POSP) that fits the receiver rail and it took some getting used to..the 5.45 was cheap not so much any more. Based on the AK, I like the .308 Saiga, I have the 18" barrel with a 6X POSP, magazines are not easy to find but a good shooting gun. Lastly, I like the 7.62X54R PSL rifle, with the correct ammo these rifles will give good performance..

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I like the Hungarian SA85M which is similar to cjleete's but with the stamped receiver made by FEG, mine is the underfolder as well and it really shoots well. I like the WASR-2 made in Romania chambered in 5.45 they have no flash-hider no bayonet lug..mine has the side mounted scope(POSP) that fits the receiver rail and it took some getting used to..the 5.45 was cheap not so much any more. Based on the AK, I like the .308 Saiga, I have the 18" barrel with a 6X POSP, magazines are not easy to find but a good shooting gun. Lastly, I like the 7.62X54R PSL rifle, with the correct ammo these rifles will give good performance..
The problem I had with the .308 SAIGA was that the chamber was really tight. It would fire factory ammo, but would not chamber reloads, no matter which set of .308 dies I used. It shot real well, and another guy wanted it as much as I wanted to sell it, so it went "bye-bye."

I figured if I was going to shoot a commie carbine, I'd stick to one that shot commie ammo. :usa2:

I have AR10s for shooting .308, and they do a much better job.

Reactions: NRAJOE and K75RT

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Also, I replaced the factory tangent rear sight and front sight with the Meprolight tritium sights. The rear sight notch is much easier to pick up in all lighting conditions and of course the dots are nicely visible in low light.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,704 Posts
Hard to pass by right now.

My commitment is with US Mäde PSA Gf3 which passed same Rob Ski 5000 round test.

‘Course, we all want a Russian.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can find one (Obama banned them in 2014 and Trump expanded the ban) one of the pre import ban Izhmash AK74s. They were imported through Arsenal and a few others. but they were the real deal AK74s (minus the full auto) the Russian army used and manufactured in the same plant.

I got one before the bans and I use mine as a shooter vs a collectors Item.
I had a '74 once, but when they went and did what they did to the cheap ammo, I got mad and sold it off. I miss that rifle.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently acquired a Palmetto State American made PSAK. I bought the pistol because I like the shorter versions. I must say, so far, I am relatively impressed. I believe that if I didn't have a family that I liked to keep armed with weapons they can handle, I'd truly be an AK man. By the way, I also have an I.O. inc. but cannot for the life of me remember if it is the akm247c.

·
Super Moderator
16,917 Posts
I had a '74 once, but when they went and did what they did to the cheap ammo, I got mad and sold it off. I miss that rifle.
even without the russian milsurp, 5.45 is still one of the cheapest intermediate rifle calibers out there. Its still cheaper than 5.56 or 7.62x39.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree the best AK value is....an SKS. Lol. But WASR’s always worked just fine, and were cheap to buy. Emphasis on “were”. Chicom factory 26 SKS was the best 7.62x39 weapon I have owned, with a maadi almost as good. Yugo sks are pretty darn accurate too.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I build my own so if my AKs are not accurate or reliable it's my fault. As of today I haven't built one that wasn't accurate or reliable. My girlfriend takes my AK74 & embarrasses the long distance shooters by hitting all the gongs on the 400yd rack that they are having trouble shooting. LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts