Hay P22 Owners!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mamandoli, Sep 3, 2002.

1. mamandoli

mamandoli Guest

Hi all you Walther Gun Nuts,
    Where are all the P22 folks. I bought mine and love it. Write in you guys. Do you like it? What do you think about the barrel extension that can be purchaced? Does it shoot well.
    Hay, I love it. Shoots well, cheap, I could go on and on.
    Come on. There must be someone out there? Hello!!!!!!!

Mike:target: :target:

2. jjbath

jjbath Guest

I am looking to purchase the P22 w/5" barrel.
    I got a price of 290+tax but the **** thing is backordered for who knows how long.

How is its accuracy? Are there any problems with it?

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

start the handgun purchase permit, be interesting to see which comes first. where do you live??? i used to live in Camden County(livelong) now its 5 minutes and out the door for me:D :D :D :p

4. jjbath

jjbath Guest

Actually I already have 3 permits that expire on Nov 30.
    I recently bought a Glock 21 and planned on purchasing a 357, 22, and maybe another 9mm but something came up and
    now I can't afford them all so I figured I'd go with the 22.

Its cheap to buy and shoot and the P22 looks cool too.

5. captw3

captw3 Guest

I purchased a P-22 First Edtion. It has both length barrels. The long barrel is my favorite for targets. It is finicky about what it likes to eat. I have had the best luck with CCI Mini Mags. It is a great little weapon, I use it more on the range than I do my P-99. It is also a great weapon, but can be pricey to shot in 40 S&W. Some people had problems with the safety on the P-22, I never use it because it is either in the box empty or pointing down range. Enjoy your tools, ( I call them that so my wife doesn't think I have to many toys.)

6. Mark

Mark Guest

I bought a short barreled model in February. What a piece of sh*t! I call it my jam-o-matic. It always, ALWAYS jams on the first round out of the magazine. And usually a couple more random ones after that. I've tried a dozen different types of ammo with the same result. And I just love the 15 lb double trigger pull. Thank God I don't believe in a .22 for self defense. I'd be safer throwing that pistol at someone than trying to shoot them.

I've heard that Walther has admitted that the early magazines are defective, causing the jams. But, the supply of replacements has been limited thus far. I'm going to try and get my name in the hat to get some replacements. Maybe I'll have something nice to say after that.

7. wise_owl

wise_owl Guest

Mark,
    I agree with you, it is not my first choice for defence because of frequent jams. A potentially single shot .22 is not my idea of a gun I would rely on if my life is at stake ! Having said that, it is a fun gun to use if you find the type of ammo that suits your individual piece. (CCI Minimags, any remington and Elly gold work fine on mine)Reliability improves a lot if you load 8 rounds only in the mag, and check that they are pointed upwards. Shoot safely.
    W O

Last edited: Nov 10, 2002
  8. Mark

Mark Guest

FOR SALE: Plastic Rock

You know, I'm glad to hear that someone else has had good luck with this piece of crap. I finally became aggravated enough to contact Walther America. They told me that they would NOT simply swap me for new magazines. I'd have to mail them the gun, magazines and all. If, after a complete examination, they decide that the problem really is the gun, they will fix it. With all the bad publicity this thing has received at other websites, is this really necessary?

I've got a better idea. I'm going to trade my jam-o-matic for something else. From a different manufacturer. A manufacturer that tests their products thoroughly BEFORE putting them on the market.

My hats off to those of you who were lucky enough to buy one that actually works.

9. nurall

nurall Guest

try using different ammo.
    read at another forum that the p22 doesnt like federal

fire ~800 rds of minimag no jams on mine.

10. gunssb

gunssb Guest

Mark, what all these guys said - buy a few different brands of ammo. I don't have a p22 but know people who do - it's finicky about ammo.

11. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Owners who haven't had severe problems with their P22 seem to be in the minority. I had an excellent rental experience with a similarly priced Beretta NEOS. One friend plans to make it her first gun after moving to a gun friendly state.

12. Mark

Mark Guest

Got rid of my plastic rock

I ridded myself of a major headache by trading that thing off long ago. I purchased a .45 ACP Taurus Tracker and was happy with my decision from day one :right:

As for ammo, I tried a dozen or more types, including CCI, PMC, Winchester, Federal, and Remington. This thing was just hell-bent on jamming. Like I said previously, there were serious problems with the design of the magazine for the P22.

I've made three rimfire purchases since then and have zero complaints about any of them--a Ruger MkII slabside , a .22lr Taurus Tracker, and a Ruger .22lr SP101 with 4" barrel. Whaddaya know---they all work perfectly!

Mark

13. colt45

colt45 Guest

bought a short bbl GREEN one today will be in sometime next week. i'll let you know then.

14. Mark

Mark Guest

colt45,

You should have much better luck with yours. The problem with the mags has supposedly been corrected with the newer models. I made mistake #1:
    NEVER BUY ANYTHING THE FIRST YEAR OF PRODUCTION!!!

15. colt45

colt45 Guest

we have had to round off some of the hammers a lil more on a few and some we had will only work with CCI ammo, others have worked with no problem. we have one in the shop now that won't work with ten in the mag but work perfect with 9 go figure.
    don't realy know anything about the mags, the hammers where rough on the fist ones we got but i don't mind tweeking something, probobly would anyway...........lol i just like the feel of the lil critters and i will make a real nice hiking gun. the 45 gets a lil heavy on long trecks.

16. colt45

colt45 Guest

where did you find the ruger sp101? they are out of production. i have a slabside, use that for bulls eye shooting, nice gun!

17. Mark

Mark Guest

I bought the laaaaaast one :D

The dealer contacted every supplier he had ever dealt with, and found one. I just received it two weeks ago. Neat little gun! I can't believe it wasn't popular enough to remain in production. Only thing I could see improving is the windage-only sights.

Mark