Headspace Guages Help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by WestTex, May 30, 2008.

1. WestTex

WestTex G&G Newbie

I just got my order of headspace (Go, No-Go) guages from Brownells. Tell me how to use them..........

Thanks

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

There should be an instruction sheet in the tube they came in. But for the no go gauge first remove the extractor. Put the no go gauge in the chamber. If it closes then don't shoot it.

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Sometimes you can "slip" the gage in without removing the extractor.

4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Sounds like you guys have a different gauge than mine. The no-go gauge I bought from Yankee Engineers is easy to use. You don't have to dismantle anything. It looks like a very precisely machined washer with a machined cut-out for the extractor.

You stand the rifle upright, open the bolt, and put it on the bolt face with the cut-out lined up with the extractor. Close the bolt. If the bolt locks, it's a no-go. That's about as simple as it gets, and this gauge is certifed for .303 Enfields, P-14 Enfield, Krags, M-Ns, SVTs and a couple of other rifles. It's worth the $37 I spent for it.

5. SwedeSteve

Yep Cyr, you have a coin-type gage.

6. WestTex

WestTex G&G Newbie

I didn't get any instructions with them. The Go guage slipped right under the extractor and so did the No Go guage on two out of the three. So when it didn't fit under the third one I thought I had better check with the ones who know just to make sure I was doing it right. BTW the two I have checked are good to go!!! Time to go get some ammo and go shoot.:AR15firing:

Thanks again for the help

7. SwedeSteve

You might have to remove the extractor on that third one. Piece of cake !!