close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Headspace Help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rustler, Mar 30, 2002.

1. rustler

rustler G&G Newbie

I bought two partial 03A3's. a Remington with a stock and missing parts, and an AIL receiver with a really good GI barrel. The Rem went together well with its original bolt and the headspace checked out, but the AIL bolt won't close on the GO gauge. I tried a new complete bolt with the same results. What can I do with it short of having the chamber reamed out? Can anything be done with the bolt to help improve the headspace? Is it possible if I tried several more bolts I might find one which would be better? I have tried that with an HRA Garand and it improved the headspace3.
    I'd appreciate any help.
    John O

2. AndyA

AndyA G&G Newbie

It is possible (probable) that you are dealing with a new never before installed barrel. All new barrels are short chambered and must be reamed for head space.

3. Rustler:
    Andy is probally right. If the chamber is "short" then more than likley it is also rough. A rough chamber is tough on extraction. Best thing to do is have the gunsmith finish the headspace job.
    Gary

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

WHERE'D THESE GUYS GO???

:D

5. oldBEAR

oldBEAR G&G Newbie

AIL????

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an AIL receiver for a 1903A3? I am familiar with Remington and Smith-Corona. I am even aware of the civilian produced National Ordnance and Golden State Arms (same company I believe). But I have never heard of an AIL!