Heavier bullets for .30?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Kompressor, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

I'm (still) waiting for my new Forster Co-Ax press. Before it arrives I'm trying to read up about stabilizing heavier bullets for my 300RUM. All my available factory ammo has been 180gr level 3 from Remington, but I'm looking for slowing speed down a bit while maintaining the energy with weight. They will be used for moose and elk.

200 gr bullets will perform well I've found, but may still be a bit on the fast side. While with 220gr and as far as 240gr I'm a bit more on the sceptic side, as I'm not so sure how these long bullets will perform, and at which speed they would even be reliable for precision.

Any suggestions and experience out here?

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Don't understand your desire to try to slow down.My experience when you start slowing down with the high capacity cases you leave so many variables like inconsistancy in fps and such you lose accuracy.My experience and moreso my friends experience was to keep punching those 200gr at 3000+ and 180,s at 3100+ and buy a bullet designed a little stronger.Barnes bullets worked well and the new bonded and such do great at the higher velocities.It may be possible but my experience,you can't slow down much without sacrificing performance/accuracy. (Don't have much experience with anything heavier than 200gr in .30cal.

3. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

Thank you for your reply!

I wonder if my factory ammo says 3300 ft/s on the package. Does that sound right? I haven't got a pack here where I am, and it's 5 am so I'm not so fresh on my mind to remember.

Most moose hunting here is short distance, 10-60 yds, with the occasional "long shot" in the 100-300 yds. At 300 yds my current factory ammo with 180gr Nosler Partition is probably one of the better choices. But at very short distances it will likely cause a lot of meat pounding. Since our hunting here is organized for hunting teams, this is not so popular.
    Most hunters here use .308, 6,5x55 or .30-06. You hardly ever see anything else other than the occational 9,3x62 or even rarer a .338. All rather slow speed ammo, don't you think? The 2300-2500 ft/s is considered "appropriate", although I think they're all a bunch of recoil scared chickens, ha ha! ;)

A 200gr (or maybe a 220gr?) A-frame bullet at 2900 ft/s is a better meat bullet than what I use now, in my head. While still keeping up a better trajectory than any of the smaller .30's around.

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I don't know what your ammo box might rate the fps at.Looking in the 4th edition of Ammo and Ballistics they list five loads of 180gr and the fastest is Remington Core-Lokt at 3230fps.Possibly Hornady has something rated faster but what I have seen of Hornady,they usually don't match listed speed.What I referred to was handloads that were listed in the load books and I had loaded and chrono,ed and found those speeds.The range you mention,trajectory is non-existant as far as consideration.The difference in Taylor knockout points between 180,s and 200,s is only a couple points or such with the Nosler partition 200gr having 27 and the (highest) Rem club running a 25.6.At under 100yds I would consider the .308win with 165/180,s adequate for both elk and moose.For the heavier boned moose I would prefer 180,s in .308win over the 165,s but both should be adequate.Beyond 200yds I would be thinking more power than .308win.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If you shoot Moose in Head you dont mess up any Meat...

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Will I find the head on the north or south end of said moose?

7. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Depends on the direction of Travel...Duh !

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I plan on walking east.

9. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

In my .300 win mag I only use the 200gr bullets. My rifle seems to shoot them really well and I used the .200gr. Sierra Game King to kill a fairly large cow elk. She wasn't as close as the distances you listed but she was between 150 to 200yds out there. Didn't do to much damage to meat as I took out the lungs and there isn't to much meat on the ribs anyways.