close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hello all! Old school gun enthusiast.

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Rodney1976, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Rodney1976

Rodney1976 G&G Newbie

I came to this site to have an discussion about a gun I came across. It’s a 1915-1920 c96 Mauser German model commercial. Authentic serial number ( not a replica ). I was thinking about selling it but didn’t want to get jipped. Any thoughts would be appreciated and thanks for letting me be apart of this site.

Attached Files:

jwrauch, blaster, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.
  2. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

welcome to the site. i'm not too familiar with that particular firearm. other members might be.

Rodney1976 likes this.

3. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Welcome to G&G from the high desert of southwest Idaho.
    You gotta stick around for more than just the approximate value of your Mauser. I have a number of mausers myself but I'm not familiar with that model, however one of the band of fellers has the info your looking for :) ...

Rodney1976 likes this.
  4. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G from Alaska. (again) :D

Rodney1976 likes this.
  5. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie G&G Evangelist

Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Rodney1976 likes this.
  6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Welcome to G&G!

Rodney1976 likes this.
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Rodney1976: Sir, Welcome from NC

8. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

9. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

:):)Welcome to G&G from Michigan:):)

10. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

welcome from Kentucky !!

11. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Don't they call those broomhandles?

12. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma. Beautiful firearm you have there. Should be someone here who can help. If need be take it a smithy they should be able to help you.

13. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

welcome to the site.
    they do call them the broom handle.

big breath.
    while these are a pretty desirable gun their values vary from a couple hundred dollars all they way up to the thousands.
    condition and markings are the difference between a 400$ gun and a 5,000$ specimen.
    sometimes it is a perception thing.
    the ones with a red 9 [called a C-9] in the handle seem to mean something to some people but those are one of the most seen models.
    ones with various war markings and older models are the ones with higher values.
    their condition makes the difference between a 1-k gun and the earlier mentioned 5-k gun, prices will range everywhere in between the two places.

most guy's will pull out a book and determine the this or that price and will offer you that amount.
    the ones that can really tell you the right now real street value are the collectors that are looking at these things all day long trying to find those 1-2 markings that bump the price up.
    that is where these guns are laying right now on the open market.

14. draftingmonkey

draftingmonkey G&G Evangelist

Quite a bit of information about your Mauser here.

15. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Welcome to the Forum from the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York, Rodney1976. There are folks here that can answer your questions, or at least give you more information. The pictures help, but not as much as they might because they aren't as clear as they might be.

First things first. The Germans produced the C96 Mauser in both 7.63x25 and 9x19, aka 7.63 Mauser and 9mm Parabellum or 9mm Luger. The 9mm Imperial German Army pistols have a large "9" carved into the grips, usually though not invariably filled with red paint so the soldiers would not try to load them with 7.63 Mauser ammo, and are nicknamed "Red 9" pistols. I can't tell if you have a Red 9 or a 7.63 Mauser pistol from the photos. (Note: 7.63 Mauser ammo is hard to come by; it was proprietary to this pistol. Do NOT try to shoot it with 7.62x25 mm Tokarev ammo! Although it will chamber, 7.62 Tok is much more powerful and could blow up the Mauser. The Wehrmacht learned this lesson the hard way on the Eastern Front.) If you have a Red 9 Broomhandle there, it will chamber standard 9mm Luger ammo with no trouble. The standard Broomhandle stripper clips, it is said, will load either round properly.

Next: What is the barrel length? The C96 was made with a couple of different barrel lengths, but the Versailles Treaty required the Germans to limit their pistol barrels to 4 inches. It also required them to cease manufacture of the 7.63 Mauser version, though they were allowed to rechamber existing pistols for 9mm Luger. I own a "mixmaster" (parts from multiple factories) 1914 Broomhandle that was caught up in the Versailles Treaty-mandated changes, rebarreled and rechambered. (That's the only reason I was able to afford it; mixmaster pistols aren't worth as much as matching number and matching factory pistols.)

I'd suggest you take some more photos, and to bring up the markings so they show better, rub chalk over them before you take the pix. That will help us see what you have there.

You have a nice Broomhandle there. Unless you need the money, Rodney1976, if I were you I would not sell it. Broomhandle Mausers have not been easy to find for many years now, and what with cosplayers buying them up and converting them into BlasTech Dl-44 "Han Solo Blasters" the rarity of unaltered C96 Mausers is sending prices up.