Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Serial # indicates 1904 production...If it is a 2 9/16 chamber... early one and not as valuable as a 2-3/4"...But In order to say value, need to know the Condition....100% =1300.00 down to 10% = 200.00
Rich

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Just Looking In A Blue Book Of Gun Values I Bought A Few Days Ago By S. P. Fjestad. Serial # 226331 Starts @1903 And Serial #258664 Starts @1904. So I Think Maybe A Late 1903. Many Models Available Check Out The Model 1897 Pigeon High Grade WooHaaa
Around $10,000. That Model Should Have An Engraved Pigeon Behind Hammer And Some Models A Black Diamond Stock Inlay. Is It A 26" Barrel 28",29",30",31",32" ? Checkered Stock, Marked Trap, Inlays In The Pistol Grip Area?
I'm Not The Expert Just Reading Out Of The Book To Help. Earl

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Just Looking In A Blue Book Of Gun Values I Bought A Few Days Ago By S. P. Fjestad. Serial # 226331 Starts @1903 And Serial #258664 Starts @1904. So I Think Maybe A Late 1903. Many Models Available Check Out The Model 1897 Pigeon High Grade WooHaaa
Around $10,000. That Model Should Have An Engraved Pigeon Behind Hammer And Some Models A Black Diamond Stock Inlay. Is It A 26" Barrel 28",29",30",31",32" ? Checkered Stock, Marked Trap, Inlays In The Pistol Grip Area?
I'm Not The Expert Just Reading Out Of The Book To Help. Earl
Earl
You should learn to read...The Blue book says the LAST serial Number in 1903 was 226331...and the LAST serial number for 1904 was 258664...so its 1904 Made....AND the Pigeon grade and Black Diamond grades were 12 Ga. ONLY. so it rules out his gun...
That leaves a Standard 1897 gun....
Rich
Rich

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Please provide more information

It is extremely difficult to advise when a person has not seen and handled the gun. Please consider taking the gun to at least one and perhaps two qualified appraisers. In a lesser produced gauge it might just be of great interest to a particular collector.

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Bad Info From Earl

Hey, Your Right Mooseman, I Stand To Be Corrected.
It Was A Little Late And I Found My Glass Eye On The
Floor This Morning. timh481 Good Luck With The Value Of Your Shotgun!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Hope you like your 97 my serial number is 238113 and was make in 1905 the year after yours. If you had it reblued that cuts collecter value but makes for a darn good shooter. I don't care what mines worth because they will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers to get it.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Hope you like your 97 my serial number is 238113 and was make in 1905 the year after yours. If you had it reblued that cuts collecter value but makes for a darn good shooter. I don't care what mines worth because they will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers to get it.
By Serial Number yours was made in 1904...NOT 1905!
where did you guys learn Math ???
Rich

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Sorry Moose you may be right I went on the look up serial numbers and find out the date web page, it said 1905. It has Winchesters, military,Remington and a few others but I don't know how accurate it normally is. The gun was my grandfathers riot gun when he was a cop in the 40's to 60's PS. mines a 12 ga. takedown.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Blue book of gun values lists the serial numbers by year for lots of Winchesters, as an aid in pricing and ID...
They are usually right on from actual records of Winchester...and other makers as well.
I hope this helps you...The 97's are sweet old knucklebusters !
Rich

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Hey were talking guns here, its not who's the expert who can READ nor who knows MATH.
Do the gun company's start making there brand new products January 1st of the published date? Which would indicate the EXACT DATE or do they start years ahead of this published date? I would think they start months ahead or possibly a year before that published date. If a few of us are off by a few months of the published date who gives a rats ass. Lets just help the lad and come as close as we can. OOOOPPS my glass eye fell out again and i forgot to take my high blood pressure pill. Still All Good Input......... Thanks Men.
Any whoooo happy new year to all...........

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
maybe everyones just hungover?:alcoholic:

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
When you have a Shotgun, or any gun that was made over a 60 year period, it pays to know the exact year of mfg. due to collectable pricing that can affect Value.
As a Collector, I may pay more for a pre-WW1 gun, or more for a pre WW2 gun, than I would a post model due to design changes, steel composition, finish Etc.
I may want a specific year of Mfg. or a specific serial number range...Thats part of Collecting , which is different from just owning...
I have personally seen people get screwed by selling a gun that was valuable, because somebody "appraised" it incorrectly. Without being able to completely assess the gun hands on, I use what info I am given to give the best appraisal range possible for Informative purposes to the owner as a guideline for a particular model, since I have nothing to gain other than knowing I helped someone in need...
I've been doing this for over 25 years...
Rich

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Moose is right, its hard to get a good appraisal on our treasures and every fact you can get helps. I try to find out when all my stuff was made and that can be hard to do when you have something like the Mossberg rifles with no serial num or guns that have the right numbers on everything but don't match history wise(like my luger with the ser. num on an alum. bottom clip that should be wood and black widow grips that should be wood)
every fact you can get helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Value of my 1897 Winchester

Depends on "Refurbish"...Re-blue ? etc... Cuts value in Half...
Rich
Mooseman, i have my fathers old 1897 winchester pump serial # 182010, i dated this gun a 1903, wondering what it might be worth..It is 100% original, shows wear, blueing gone, scratches on stock, no cracks in wood, action works smoothly. Any idea on it's worth....Johnbukie

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 1897 is original, no refurbishing, 12 gauge, I could probably go out and shoot it as it is...Looking to find it's value..might consider selling it...johnbukie

1 - 20 of 40 Posts