close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

help, got me a problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, May 5, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Finally got my STG-58 out to the range today(STG kit, imbel receiver, assembled by Century..I think). When I Pull the trigger, it goes bang- so thats good. So I have a rifle that fires, but here is the problem. Ajustable gas system.....not adjusting enough. I printed up the "how to adjust" off of FALfiles and followed it step by step...When I first started shooting, I had the "plug" on the end of the gas tube on "G" so I am guessing this is the grenade setting, because it wasn't cycling good at all, no matter what I adusted the gas setting to. So when I realized this, I spun it 180 to the "A" setting (automatic??). Then I started adjusting the gas system again. The directions said to spin it all the way forward, then back it off to 7, then fire it round by round, adjusting it forward, till the bolt holds open several times. Then give it two more clicks forward for reliability. I did this, and I got the gun to eject casings on the 1 and 2 settings(which is all the way closed, right?) but the bolt hold open never caught. I tried this with both my mags(to see if that would affect it) but that didn't help. So I must be leaking gas...Any place I should start???Parts I should replace?
    Other than that, I am so far happy with it. It handled the invading soda can situation at the range prefectly. Can't wait to get it workin' perfect. I really need to get a bi-pod and a carry handle for it (that looks so tough to me....).

Thanks for the help in advance....most likely FALphil

I think thats all for now....

-Tim:assult:

2. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

AR-Tim post this ? on the FALFLILES.com many more replies. I am waiting on a fal, it should be here this week. Good Luck
    Paul I

3. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
    If you actually have a Century built rifle, most of them have had the BHO's cut off. My STG on a Hesse certainly does. It will only work manually.

later,
    AJ

4. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

If the Bolt Hold Open is functional , I would 3 things .

1 Try different ammo .

2 Measure the diameter of the gas piston & post it , someone will have the spec & help you with it .

3 Field strip the rifle . Without the spring , see if the gas piston slides freely , whin you tilt the rifle back and forth .

Wyr
    God Bless

5. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I measured the gas piston today. The spec I got off of FAL files was .429 or larger was ok. My measurements were about .427-.428. So, if this is black and white, it is too small. But, if there is some give and take, it is only .001 to .002 out.???? I took the spring out of the rifle and put the piston back in. With the bolt hold open caught, I tilted it back and forth. It didn't seem to slide freely. (how far should it slide without the spring in?). I am trying to find out the dealers phone number. If I can not find it, I should see him agian this weekend at a gun show. I'll talk to him, and see what he can do. Thanks for the help..I haven't been able to try different ammo yet, but I doubt that is it, with the way the gun was functioning.

-Tim

6. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Best of luck ,
    God Bless
    Wyr

7. With the spring removed from the piston, the piston should slide all the way back to the breach block carrier's face and farther (if the breach block carrier is removed). If it does not slide back easily, the piston rod could be bent (sight it like a pool cue), your gas cylinder could be fouled (remove your piston and breach block carrier and sight down it, like checking the rifle bore) or your cylinder exit port on your reciever could be damaged (look for nicks or burrs, ensure it is round). If it not cycling properly your gas regulator (the rotary sleeve with the numbers) could be cracked. Good Luck