Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this old timer today snorkeling in Lake Pend Oreille, north Idaho. Found resting on some rock rubble in about 20 feet of water, otherwise would have been covered by sediment long ago. Can't seem to find any pics online of similar looking lever guns with short magazine, octagonal barrel. Also pretty unusual looking front sight remains. Usually i find fishing lures and once in a great while a fishing rod while snorkeling, but never pulled us a rifle before. Any help on an ID would be appreciated! Also any suggestions on conserving the piece for a wall hanger?
Wood Natural material Metal Soil Terrestrial animal
Wood Road surface Asphalt Bedrock Grass
Jaw Wood Grass Art Jewellery
Road surface Asphalt Grass Rectangle Groundcover
Plant Wood Natural material Tree Trunk
Water Wood Asphalt Rectangle Grass

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
My first through was tube fed shotgun, but it looks like there’s a barrel band right after the receiver and that’s throwing me.

cool find!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Looks like it will need some soaking and sandblasting. I would start with a wire brush knock off the loose stuff. Probably safe to start the soak with something like purple power but vinegar will probably be needed as well. Looks like a fun project and definitely a wall hanger. At some point you may or may not be able to take it apart or partially so which will make it easier. Expect a lot of time with a Dremel. Enjoy.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
model 64.
if the hole in the barrel is @25-30-32 cal, and the locking lug right in front of the hammer is cross ways.

86 if the hole is 33-35-45 and it has 2 slender locking lugs in front of the hammer going the same direction as the barrel.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
also most of the 86's come with a curved grip section where the lever portion is, that doesn't have one.
not saying it isn't an 86 since you could get a straight lever on them too.

one more possibility that the bulged area right at the end of the receiver, and short magazine indicates is it could be a model 92 take down.
the take down lever would be located at the end of the magazine which is totally covered in stuff.
the 92 is a much smaller version of the 86 and takes shorter pistol sized cartridges.

if i had the gun in hand i could tell you which one it was in like 20 seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everyone for the input! Spent a few hours perusing Winchester pics last night and agree it looks most like an '86 with straight stock and 2/3 magazine. I'm away from my home workshop for a while (and my electrolysis tank) but I'll see what I can do to start cleaning it off and post some more pics as I make some progress. Again, thanks for the input!!!

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,233 Posts
Stay away from wire brushes for sure. I would start with a power washer.

·
Premium Member
10,070 Posts
I think you have a neat wall hanger. I dont see that rifle shooting again. I would definitely put it into a home made Electrolysis tank for a few days and clean and do it a second or third time. I have a friend that is big into metal detecting. He actually found an antique percussion revolver buried in his yard and did the Electrolysis. The wood grips were rotted of course. I was surprised how a clump of rust can look like a pistol again. Nice for display after he got some old wood grips for it. I would not be surprised if the rifle has a round in the chamber and several in the tube. I bough an antique Mossberg 22 rifle from a guy near me. He found it in the rafters of the attic when his dad passed. I bought it for like $70 because of a few rust spots from leaks. When I worked the bolt it was a round chambered in it. It was so corroded that the brass shell casing pulled out but the lead bullet still stayed in the chamber. I sprayed with Kroil and pushed the projectile out with a small rod. You never know

·
Premium Member
26,172 Posts
I would suggest boiling the rusty parts in distilled water once all the mud and crud is removed...

·
Banned
222 Posts
Woah, Is that winchester model 1886.

Reactions: Ron The Legend
1 - 20 of 20 Posts