Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won this at a local auction. It was identified as a Stevens 20 gauge only. Upon getting it home, I cannot identify a model either in my Shooter's Bible or Gun Trader's Guide or on the internet.

Naturally, as are most old Steven's shotguns, there is no serial number, and since it is older, no model number either. The closest I can come is it is a model 311, but neither the front stock nor shoulder stock is shaped like a 311, and it is also engraved on both sides of the receiver (see photos). One site said that no Stevens were engraved from the factory (not sure if that is true) because they were mostly lower end quality (not sure that is true either).

The ONLY markings are on the inside of the front stock, on the bottom of the barrels which is hidden by the front stock and on the receiver hidden under the barrels (all displayed in photos). It is marked in 4 places EX and (A) (H), (the A and H are circled, see photos). In one place on the bottom of the barrels stamped into the front stock lock up is what appears to be an 11 (eleven, see photos). And on the receiver hidden under the the barrels there is a distinct 3 stamped with what appears to be 11 to follow, but might be my imagination (marked by yellow arrows in photo). Hard to imagine a distinct 3 with the 11 barely visible.

I'm not desperate, it is not an heirloom, just a cool old shotgun. The trigger guard is cracked and I would like to replace it, but the photos of replacement trigger guards for the Stevens 311 does not match what I've got either. Soooooooooo....any ideas?

Some research showed that my gun might be related to the Savage Fox model B. The stamped wood working is different than my Stevens, but both stocks (front and shoulder) are the right configuration and shape. This site said that the Fox Model B was a fancy version of the Stevens 311 platform, but NOTHING ANYWHERE indicates that Stevens made something similar, and this gun is clearly marked J.Stevens Arms Company.

Thanks you in advance for your help in this matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Swede. i'm actually from Florida, but have called south central Missouri home since 1998.

It is a nice double boom. Just wish I knew what it is. LOL

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Here are the date codes for Stevens Shotguns.

A 1949
B 1950
C 1951
D 1952
E 1953
F 1954
G 1955
H 1956
I 1957
J 1958
K 1959
L 1960
M 1961
N 1962
P 1963
R 1964
S 1965
T 1966
U 1967
V 1968
W 1969
X 1970 ?
It should be a letter and a number in a circle under the barrel. However as usual yours is different.
If it does not have a letter and a number in a circle it could be a pre-1949 model.
These shotguns should never be dry fired. They can get the firing pin stuck in the "fired" position and when you load a shell into it and close the action it could fire.
There is a way to decock it. It involves a few steps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These shotguns should never be dry fired. They can get the firing pin stuck in the "fired" position and when you load a shell into it and close the action it could fire.
There is a way to decock it. It involves a few steps.
Yup. Mine does not have a letter and a number. The 2 letters are prolly not much help either. First aftermarket toy I bought for this gun was a pair of snap caps. I am loath to dry fire any older firearm, especially an old SxS that leaves the firing pin springs in code red every time you open and close the breech. Glad you commented thus though in case someone else may not know to be as careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts