Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single barrel shotgun I inherited from my great unce who served in the Pacific during WW2. The gun is nicely engraved with some gold inlay. The only identifying markings I could find were under the barrel, which must be removed to see. They look like Japanese characters, but I could be wrong. *See pics*.Does anyone know what I have here?Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
it may be Japanese, or Chinese or some other country. trouble is AFAIK, that Pacific Asian made sporting arms, seems to be no one is doing any research or published any info.

still its an interesting piece, any idea on its gauge?

·
Wonderment :)
35,566 Posts
Dagnabit

funhurts: Sir, dagnabit: I wasn't Sucessfull searching. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding! I am just guessing the characters are Japanese, but you guys are right, it could be Chinese or any other Asian markings. I think it is a 4/10 guage, I don't have any shells to test,but it is definitely smaller than a 20ga.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
A couple of "macro" shots to help identify the characters would help. My son has some experience with Japanese and I have a colleague with a Chinese wife. Might be able to get a general direction if the characters are clear.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
In Japan long barreled shotguns are pretty much the only type of firearm people are allowed to have. And even those are very tightly regulated. This could have been from the war or could have been from after. I would guess it was a post war gun since they didn't engrave shotguns very often during the war, but afterward had a lot of GI s that wanted something nice to take home.

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
i beleive it would be pre-war. WWII would have taken up all manufacturing for war weapons. i am thinking some where between 1900-1930's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts