Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently aquired what looks like a bit like a Euro-Style 98 Mauser. It has very few markings, no crests, and no dates like most converted Mausers. It has a type of elevated express rear sight on the barrel with 2 moveable leafs, 98K type bolt with the oval gas ports, 8X57 stamped in barrel, serial number apears to be WRG 0518, There is a tiny W stamped in the bottom of the recoil lug, It has a very tiny simplistic eagle with the number 1 stamped in the right side of the recoil lug. It has much the same look as some Huskvarna commercial Mausers considering bolt handle design, sights, and stock design.
I will try to add some pictures for your consideration. I like the Mausers but I'm no expert. Thanks for your help on this one.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
To me it looks like a standard Mauser Sporting Rifle. Almost like a Model 77. The front sight is what all later Mauser sporting rifles have. I thought it might be a K98 bubbaed to a hunting stock but the shield on the butt plate is a Mauser Logo. Looks more like a hunting rifle than a bubbaed military.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought for sure all you Mauser guys would know what this Mauser is, or where it came from. I find it a bit perplexing that whoever made it didn't mark it any better than it is. I'm still looking for some clues.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
To me it looks like a standard Mauser Sporting Rifle. Almost like a Model 77. The front sight is what all later Mauser sporting rifles have. I thought it might be a K98 bubbaed to a hunting stock but the shield on the butt plate is a Mauser Logo. Looks more like a hunting rifle than a bubbaed military.
I have to disagree about the but plate "logo", it looks like several butt plates I have that I got from Herter's and Brownell's. The gun looks like a nice post war conversion, probably brought back by some occupation GI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys!!! New guy here....the Mauser forum caught my eye and decided to join up!!!

Anyway, I thought I would add...The markings are an almost dead giveaway that this is a Mauser K98K that has been sporterized. The marking on the bolt release, the little eagle over a 63 is a Waffenamt, basicly a QA stamp. The "67" should be the last two digits of the rifles serial number if the rifle is all original

These stamps were used during WWII. The 63 denotes that part was inspected, depending on the year the rifle was made, at either the Mauser plant in Oberndorf am Neckar if the rifle was manufactured between 1935-1939. Or at Waffenwerke Bruenn, BRNO, Czechoslavkia if the rifle was manufactured between 1943-1944.

Look at the top of the reciever. Their should be a manufacturers code with a date stamped underneath it.

Mauser= S/42G 1935, S/42 1936, S/42 1937, S/42 1938, 42 1939

Waffenwerke Bruenn, Czechoslovakia= DOT 1943, DOT 1944

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yep, MM1 has it nailed, but I'd lean towards Czech rather than Oberndorff.
From the appearence I'd say it is a post war European sporterized job.
What markings are on the scope?
Sarge

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi guys!!! New guy here....the Mauser forum caught my eye and decided to join up!!!
Anyway, I thought I would add...The markings are an almost dead giveaway that this is a Mauser K98K that has been sporterized. The marking on the bolt release, the little eagle over a 63 is a Waffenamt, basicly a QA stamp. The "67" should be the last two digits of the rifles serial number if the rifle is all original
These stamps were used during WWII. The 63 denotes that part was inspected, depending on the year the rifle was made, at either the Mauser plant in Oberndorf am Neckar if the rifle was manufactured between 1935-1939. Or at Waffenwerke Bruenn, BRNO, Czechoslavkia if the rifle was manufactured between 1943-1944.
Look at the top of the reciever. Their should be a manufacturers code with a date stamped underneath it.
Mauser= S/42G 1935, S/42 1936, S/42 1937, S/42 1938, 42 1939
Waffenwerke Bruenn, Czechoslovakia= DOT 1943, DOT 1944
First off, thanks for your responces.
Purdy your right on the butt plate and grip cap. I blew up the photo off the butt plate and it says Herters Since 1893. Now I'm wondering if it was a Herters Mauser, made in England or Czechoslovakia, or at least the stock maybe. We may be onto something now. It may be listed in a vintage Herters catalog as a J-9 Mauser. According to what I've read they were available to gunsmiths with little or no markings pre-dating that requirement. Waffenamt eagle is consistant with being made in Czechoslovakia.
There are no other marks on the rifle anywhere other than what is shown in the photos. The bolt may have been from a K98k but the waffenamt on the bolt does doesn't match the stamp on the recoil lug. If someone ground off the markings on the receiver ring there is no sign of it now. I think the best clue I have so far is that little Waffenamt stamp on the recoil lug.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found and interesing post that was asking the value of a Herters Mauser with the serial WRG XXXX. My serial is the same WRG 0518. There was no answer to his question, but the fact he said it was a Herters makes me think that it's consistant with the other info I have so far. I would sure like to see a 1976 Herters Catalog for their Mausers.

·
Banned
623 Posts
I found and interesing post that was asking the value of a Herters Mauser with the serial WRG XXXX. My serial is the same WRG 0518. There was no answer to his question, but the fact he said it was a Herters makes me think that it's consistant with the other info I have so far. I would sure like to see a 1976 Herters Catalog for their Mausers.
By the way... a very nice looking Mauser! I got a bit of a chuckle when I saw your reference to Herters. I read an interesting article about the founder and owner a while ago and he was quite the salesman. Most of the equipment sold 40-50 yrs ago or so was proclaimed to be the "BEST in the world" or something similar which was somewhat incongruous, but obviously sold stuff for the company for years. Some of my favorite hunting clothing is from Herters and it is quality stuff at a decent price. I haven't, however, seen a catalogue in several yrs now.

Out Your Backdoor: Bull Cook by George Herter, original, rare Vols 2/3 also in stock!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed that I didn't include a picture of the right side of the Mauser. You'll notice the Euro-style cheek piece on the stock. Don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts