Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have, what I believe to be, an 1893 Spanish Mauser (7x57mm). I am planning on refinishing it and giving it to my grandson, after checking headspace. I was showing him my meager collection, and no matter the cool factor, he kept looking over at the old Mauser. He is intrigued with older firearms.
He will also be getting my old American Gun Company .410 double with hammers (bought new by my great-great grandfather on my great grandmother's side and given to me by my grandfather) that I shot my first limit of doves with in 1961, when I 9 years old.
But, back to the Mauser. I am going to strip and refinish the stock, have it re-blued in a satin blue, try to find a cleaning rod AND put a scout base on it so as not to have to drill and tap the receiver. The question is, who makes a good mount for this rifle? I find all kinds for 98's, but none for the 93. When I reach my limit, I will peruse the 'Classifieds' for the cleaning rod.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,
Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Well the stock appears to have been refinished at one time RC. As far as rebluing I would check current values on the gun as Mausers are bringing good money in unaltered condition. Not sure what the 1893 Spanish ones are currently going for but World War 1 and 2 mausers are bringing big money from collectors these days. Rebluing sounds nice often but could devalue the rifle. K98k Forum is a great place to learn a ton of info on Mauser guns. Nice looking rifle you have there.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Do you have any close up pics of the left side. The opposite side of the bolt handle. Also is there any markings there at all besides the serial number

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Are you sure its a M1893 action. Reason is the stock is a Model 1916 stock. See the metal wire bracket to connect the rear of the leather sling? That is a tell tale sign of a M1916 stock. That is why I was asking for any markings or a closer pic of the receiver on the left side.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure its a M1893 action. Reason is the stock is a Model 1916 stock. See the metal wire bracket to connect the rear of the leather sling? That is a tell tale sign of a M1916 stock. That is why I was asking for any markings or a closer pic of the receiver on the left side.
First, thank you for getting back with me. I had actually thought that it might be a Model 1916 at one point. To clarify, is this the 'metal wire bracket' you are referring to?

Also, I can find no markings, other than an 'R' under the top wooden barrel cover. Here is a shot of the left side of the receiver.....

I hope this helps.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
First, thank you for getting back with me. I had actually thought that it might be a Model 1916 at one point. To clarify, is this the 'metal wire bracket' you are referring to?
View attachment 159417
Also, I can find no markings, other than an 'R' under the top wooden barrel cover. Here is a shot of the left side of the receiver.....
View attachment 159416
I hope this helps.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR
Yes that is it. You have a Model 1916 as I can tell by the receiver also.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is it. You have a Model 1916 as I can tell by the receiver also.
Thank you very much for that affirmation. Now to find the cleaning rod and scout mount. Going with the Scout set up as my grandson likes my Mossberg MVP Scout.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Thank you very much for that affirmation. Now to find the cleaning rod and scout mount. Going with the Scout set up as my grandson likes my Mossberg MVP Scout.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR
Apex, Sarco, Buymilsup.com, J&G Sales and others sell the parts for old military rifles. You should not have a hard time finding the scout mount. I guess you want the one that you attach to the rear sight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apex, Sarco, Buymilsup.com, J&G Sales and others sell the parts for old military rifles. You should not have a hard time finding the scout mount. I guess you want the one that you attach to the rear sight.
Yes, Rando. Don't want to mod the rifle too much.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just helping you with a few places to look at for the cleaning rods you need for the M1916
Sorry, that came out wrong. I was just stating that I want to keep it as original as possible and not wanting to tap and drill the receiver. Your response was taken as you intended.
Again, thanks.

Randie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts