close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help! M1 carbine shoots high.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by slsf1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. slsf1

slsf1 G&G Newbie

I purchased an Auto Ordnance .30 cal M1 carbine. I took the gun to the range to test fire it. I used Remington/UMC factory 110 grain ball ammo. I began at the 50 yard range. This rifle is equipped with flip over peep sights. I was using the large aperture. I placed a man size B21XFS silhouette target down range. I quickly discovered the rifle shoots high. To get the shots to fall in the chest area of the silhouette target I had to aim in the area where a mans belt buckle would be. I also tried the rifle at 100 yards, but it still seems to shoot high. I also used American Eagle 110 grain ball ammo. It shot a little better, but still is shooting high. To put the rounds in the chest area of the silhouette I had to hold with the sight post in between the belt buckle area and the center 5X ring.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to a cure for this. I could learn to compensate and hold low, but I don't really like doing that with my firearms. I'm considering replacing the peep sights with a set of adjustable sights. Numrich offers a set of mil spec adjustables for a reasonable price. Apparently the peep sights can be drifted out and replaced with the adjustable ones. As I said before I'd appreciate advice...especially from those wise to the ways of the carbine. Thank you. :worried:

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The manufacturer

If it is in warranty I would contact the manufacturer as this should not be happening with your ammo choice and range choice. Otherwise, I would consult a gunsmith as to some sight modification.

3. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

The flip sight was designed for 150 yards abd 300 yards. It should shoot high at 100 yards! Try shooting at 25 yards. It should shoot 1 to 1 1/2 inchs high at that distance if the sights are correct. If it shoots higher than that, I'd send it back. Otherwise, it is shooting where it is supposed to shoot.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted