close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP! on bluing

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jarcp, Apr 9, 2002.

1. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

All my experience in blueing has come from re-bluing small bits and pieces. Now that I've embarked on my first big job! (DE .357) I'd like some tips on how to get that deep blue even coverage?

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    in my opinion you need to have the gun hot blued to get that nice depp blue/black. or the old fashioned slow rust bluing. my advice is to seek professional help. cold bluing works allright on small parts and to touch up, but doing the whole gun that way just never looks right in my opinion.

3. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Lefty o's right about that. Hot blueing is the only way to go.

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Okay, What is a round about price to pay to have a hot blue done? And would most local gunsmiths be able to do it? Or would it be better to ship it off somewhere?

5. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Sometimes local gunsmiths are not set up for this type of work because of the expense and hassles of bluing. That's the main reason when you find someone that does it, it usaully is all he does.

I will say this. I he does bad work he won' t be in business for long. Check references first if you fell uncomfortable.

My local guy charges $75.00 to do a long gun.

6. Blair Emory's Hot Blue Recipe

This is the best hot blue recipe I have ever used for durability. This is Blair's original post from rec.guns.