Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Norinco SKS style rifle at the pawn shop for $199 (prob $150 out the door if I bargained). It has a blond stock, looked like a 20 round detachable mag. The marking stamped in the metal was "MC-5D" - anyone seen this?

All I found in an online search was one owners manual for sale and absolutely NOTHING else.

I wondered if "mc" could signify monte carlo? The "d" might mean detachable mag...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel (Dallas, TX)

check out my song demos:
www.thelightningwaltz.com

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,197 Posts
Dude, I'd get it...was made to take detachable AK mag! I been looking locally to no avail...I would jump on it at that price.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Which pawn shop did you say that was? :D Seriously, I'm with Joe-you better jump on it while you can. Even standard models are hard to find at that price anymore. BTW, Welcome to G&G! We've got quite a few Texas boys over here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Man, now ya'll got me wondering if I should grab up that $200 AK magged thumbhole stocked sporter over at J&J Pawn over here...

Now, about the markings. MC-5 was a 70's era band of some sort if I recall(punk band maybe?). This is probably from their secret arsenal. ;)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,197 Posts
Any AK for $200 is worth it unless its a rusted pipe! (Even then you could sell it on ebay as Ho Chi Minhs long lost AK!) ;)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,197 Posts
The MC5 were some bad mamma jammas from Detroit...used to come to Toledo alot and play gigs! :right:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
there is a Russian with detachable mag at the gun store here 200 bones I think. I know, a waste of a good Russian.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all - thanks for the welcome and the info! So you people know good guns AND good music! ;-)

I went ahead and bought that rifle today, and talked them down to $150 out the door. Here are the details: Made in China by Norinco, blonde stock, detachable AK style mag, 16" barrell, short scope mounted on top, black case, and something I've never seen which appears to be an apparatus for deflecting the ejected casings. It it an arm mounted near the front of the rifle that extends back to just over where the casings eject, and apparently deflects them toward the ground.

Any more info about this model is welcome...

Thanks!
Daniel

ps - what I need 4 SKS's for I don't know, but I'm hooked.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The shell deflector, I'm guessing, is one of those models that attaches via the top of the upper handguard/gas tube shroud. If the scope doesn't stick out over the bolt carrier you can probably chuck that. Without the shell deflector, the brass has a tendency to fly STRAIGHT up in the air a good 10 feet or so, and slightly to the right so that it doesn't smack you on the top of the head. A deflector can be nice if you want to use a long scope, but otherwise it's just another piece of metal to make extra noise. WIth the AK magazine compatability, you don't have to worry about it blocking the stripper clip path.

I think you'll be quite happy with it, especially since you've got it so cheap and apparently it's already tricked out.

:p Music and guns are 2 of the things I could talk about forever!

As for what you're gonna need for it, all you need is a checkup and lots of ammo. Strip her apart completely, or get a gunsmith to do it for you, and check the trigger group, bolt, firing pin, and gas system. It's nearly as simple as an semiauto gets, and as long as you keep the firing pin clean and dry, and the gas tube and trigger group clean, it'll work.

What am I missing? You'll need to find something that you can clean the gas tube out real good with. !!!! you even got a case with it? You got a DEAL.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Ok, I'm choking here on what a killer deal you got there...

I paid $300 for mine. $300!!! And your came with a scope and shell deflector for $150!!! Course it was possibly unfired.

Seriously, if you ever decide you don't like it, you can easily make $100.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah I've got about $375 invested into my Norinco with getting a scope&mount, and that crappy 30rd magazine which I've put in the closet. On top of everything, searching through my stuff, I've found that I think my friendly gunsmith who sold me and installed the scope mount actually KEPT my dang matching #ed receiver cover. I guess since it came in a ATI monte carlo stock that it didn't really have any collectors value, but still, the principle of the thing.

I find it hard to justify spending any more on anything besides ammo, but I really want a new stock, and then there's the tapco US made parts... I guess being 1/2 Scottish 1/2 Irish automatically makes me 100% mizer.

I'm still trying to believe this deal.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Well some people think "SKS = Cheap" so they'll sell at that price. Just think how little money somebody accepted for it that the dealer could make a profit.

Might be a fixer upper, in which case we could help with advice very much if needed. Take it apart and clean it well, then lube and shoot it and let us know how it works.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
The SKS is still The Best Bang For The Buck in semi-auto rifles, bar none!
And you got a real killer deal - I'm OD Green with envy . . . :)
Basic Norincos - unmodified or improved - bring a starting price of $150 down here. In our local gunshop, yours would be at least a $350 rifle.
Well done!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Now I'm not feeling quite as bad about the fact that it's my 3rd gun in a month and I'm completely broke! :)

Any idea how much a gunsmith *should* charge for a complete checkup like you described? I might have one do that if it's not too costly.

Another thing you guys might know - what's a fair price for a gunsmith to change out a couple of sights on a SIG pistol? I've want the original put back on but not sure what the cost should be - and don't want to get ripped!

Thanks again, and any further info you have on the MC-5D is most welcome since I still can't find any mention of such a model on the net. Is that unusual?

Daniel (Dallas, TX)

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
You can probably check it over yourself with common sense, and if you have any questions we have loads of hot air, some of which will help.

·
36,060 Posts
Howdy, Centuryhouse! Here's a quote from Survivor's SKS FAQ page:

"The SKS-M is the “post-ban†version, typically with a shortened ‘Paratrooper’ barrel and without a bayonet lug. The SKS-M was equipped with either a thumbhole style stock or a fancy Monte Carlo style stock. These will usually have either “SKS Sporterâ€, “SKS Mâ€, or
“MC 50†stamped on the side of the receiver."

Check out the whole page, a very good SKS resource here:
http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

Please give us a range report once you get to shoot it. Have fun and be safe!

·
36,060 Posts
Yep, range reports on new guns are mandatory! :)

I'm in the process of modifying an SKS-M sporter stock for my Norinco - I want to make it look a little less "threatening", and ready it as a possible deer rifle. Hardest part is modifying this stock to use the old fixed magazine - though I've got a flush-fit fiver for hunting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delay!

I took it to the range the other week, not having fired a rifle for about 9 years (just my SIG pistols since then). I had some problems. The ammo I used was very cheap coated type ammo that has been out of the box and on stripper clips since 1993 and it was not in a sealed container. It had been out in the heat in a shed for a while...

The first magazine's worth of shots at 25 yards (far end of the indoor range) were within a grouping the size of a dime! The next grouping was off a bit, and it got worse the next time! Turns out the scope was loose and was walking it's way forward off the mount each time I shot!!! hehehe When I noticed it, it had already walked 3 inches forward and was only holding on by the back mount! Now that it's tightened it should be fine.

It also had 2 FTE (failed to eject) where the casing "stovepiped" and had to be cleared. I think it was the ammo because the problem only happened with the green casing ammo I used, not the copper looking stuff. It is all very old ammo that was the absolute CHEAPEST when I bought it around 1991. I'm hoping that's the issue.

I also bought an extra 5 round mag (like the original that came with it) and an extra AK 30 round mag. I had some problem getting it to lock in place when inserted. I was told that it may be because I bought "European" AK mags instead of "Chinese" mags that were designed for this rifle. Anyone know if this is correct? It looks like the original mag that came with this was filed slightly to thin out the little foot that holds the mag in place. If that's not filed (like on the other mags I bought) then it doesn't seat as well. Anyone else run into this?

Anyway, that's it. I got a great deal on it and the acuracy seemed really good. I was a little disapointed with the couple of FTE's but...wish i had some quality ammo to try it out with. I haven't decided if I want to keep it or sell it yet. IT wasn't that much fun to shoot in a small dank dark little indoor range, and I don't live out in the country any more so no outdoor shooting without a good drive...

Any feedback welcome.

Daniel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts