Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am posting my second rifle and asking for your help on it too. By the woodwork and mechanism style i believe it's a belgian or french hunting rifle. However i cannot see any markings on the mechanism or barrel besides one number. If anyone can identify it , i would be very grateful. Also if you can tell me , if you see anything on it ,that was added later.
(Once again , ignore the new bolts and screws. They will be removed when later on)

I would presume the brass braces around the barrel were added later on because they seem to go over where the wood was carved for better grip. However i will leave this to your expert opinion. Thank you!
Brown Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

Wood Twig Wood stain Hardwood Natural material

Wood Bicycle part Material property Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Shotgun Bicycle part Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Tool Bicycle part Bicycle fork Hardwood

Wood Wood stain Flooring Plank Hardwood

Wood Gesture Finger Tool Thumb

Sleeve Wood Natural material Musical instrument Electric blue

Wood Table Flooring Wood stain Plank

Wood Office supplies Hardwood Varnish Natural material

· Registered
23,359 Posts
Well, the gun has a Malherbe lock, or close facsimile, and while Malherbe made sporting rifles/muskets/fowlers for wealthy clients, they were mostly known for military rifles. They made the Malherbe 1842, the Saxon/Dresden M1851 (Which may or may not be separate models), and the m/1855, all of which had that lock.

Malherbe was also known for their intricate wood carving.

This, however, is not a pattern of rifle that I can find in the literature of Malherbe. They typically made fancy locks for sporting guns and left the 1842 pattern locks for large-scale commercial trade.

Both the Union and the Confederacy listed the various Malherbe rifles as "top grade", and the guns were prized. Many surplus Malherbe muskets and rifles were turned into gorgeous sporters around the world from the 1850s through the 1880s.

Basically: Either someone copied/used an "1842"-pattern Malherbe lock on a custom rifle, that IS a Malherbe that was beautifully "sportered"(but isn't marked as such?), or that was a custom-made gun by Malherbe or one of his apprentices.

· Registered
1 Posts
In the Civil War, these muskets were employed. This French Model 1857-inspired 69 calibre percussion musket is made in Belgium. The length is roughly 56.25 inches overall ".small handgun The roughly 40.5 "The bore of the circular barrel is fair black, smooth, and rough. The entire metal is shiny and polished with a dark stain. Both the block rear sight and the mounted blade front sight are fixed to the barrel's tang. Three little crowns over the letters W and the Belgian oval ELG proofs are on the barrel. Unmarked is the back action lock. Crown over W proofs are present on the middle band, trigger guard, and butt plate. The stock is in fair condition with some minor dings and dents. On the left between the front and the barrel, a small piece is missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts