close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with a pair of binoculars????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Jun 30, 2002.

1. I tried to post a thread with an attachment but, for some reasons the save of my scan put an EXE tag on it and I couldn't post it.

Anyway, I was hoping for some help with one of the few things I managed to keep as a momento of my tour with the Army. It is a pair of binoculars marked 'BINOCULAR M3 6X30'

When I look through the binoculars I see two lines, one horizonatal and one vertical intersecting about 1/5 from the right side and 1/5 up from the bottom.

On these two lines are a series of markings with numbers assigned to them.

For example, looking at the intersection you would see '4' '5' on the marks on the horizontal line just to the right of the intersection. On the horizonatal line, to the left of the intersection are the descending numbers '2' and '1' (assuming the intersection point would be '3').

Following to the left of this is an unnumbered (neutral line) mark downward and then followed to the left with progressing numbers '1' through '5' assigned to the marks.

On the vertical line you see a series of marks going up with the numbers '15', '10' and '5' assigned to every five marks.

Just below the intersection and horizontal line is the number '20' on a short vertical 'tail' downward.

Above the neutral line on the left side of the intersection are two short horizontal lines, one above the other.

Over the '5' at the left most side of the are four horizonatal marks one above the other.

I am assuming the lines, marks and numbers are used for artillery gunners and sighters or spotters but I'm curious as to how to read them.

I have this bewildered thought in my mind every time I look through them.

Any help would be appreciated.

I realize my description might be vague....but, hope not.

Thanks.

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

If you're wanting information about some of the features, I'll only comment on the "6x30".

My understanding is that 6 means the subject is magnified six times.

I think the 30 relates someway to how much light is brought into the lenses.

Oxford

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

That is a range finding scale. You need to check out the manufacturer's website to determine how to read them. If you look at an object of a known dimension, and compare it to the scale, you can figure out how far away it is. On rifle scopes, range finders usually have scale brackets representing measurementos of the human body, width of chest, width of shoulders, and height of head are normal. I do not know what your binoculars are using for a reference. I have a Steiner Commander RS2000, which uses a different scale than you describe.

4. Excellent point Klaus,

I looked the binoculars over and found, 'Nash-Kelvinator Corp. 1942 HMR'.

Perhaps, with that I can do some research.

Again, thanks.

5. All I've found so far is that Nash Kelvinator was one of several producers of optics for the Army prior to, and during, WWII and that the horizontal marks and numbers are in mils and the vertical marks and numbers are in yards.

What I've read is that the M3 cost the Army $71.00 per binocular....interesting.

Anyone know what the heck a mil is?

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Ok Dale, one mil=0.000028 yards.

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Those sound like fun I bought a nice set of Nikon's last year for 99 bucks 6x24x50mm they adjust way up and are so clear sometimes I have my spotter at the range use them while I use the spotting scope

8. Shaun,

That's what we use ours for.

They are crystal clear and I have yet to find any modern optics (at a price I could afford) that equals the quality and clarity.

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

A mil is .001 inch.

10. Could there be another type of mil? 1/1000th of an inch on an optics reticle just doesn't make sense to me.

Heck, it's not a microscope, lol.

11. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, that is what a mil is. I do not know what it means on your binoculars.

12. Nash Kelvinator?? Didnt they used to make refrigerators? I think they did.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, If International Harvester can make M1 Garands ...

14. wes

wes G&G Newbie

And IBM can make carbines...

15. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Dale,maybe this will clear it up a bit. one mil= 254,000 angstroms.

16. Thanks a h e l l u v a lot Les, he he he he, lol.