Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I would like to share with you this mysterious (to me) rifle. It's the first rifle i have ever bought and it was in terrible , terrible condition . I decided i would practice my restauration skills on it, there is much work to be done still. I do know about the new bolt, it will be changed when i get to a gunsmith to make me one. However i would like to ask you all for your opinion on it. Since i am from Bulgaria , i believe this is a put together. The barrel has been sawn off at some point , most probably to be hidden easier under clothes or in general . After all until 1878 we were part of the ottoman empire. So , the barrel has turkish armorer markings as you would see, however the mechanism has only foreign ones. I've been looking on the internet , and the mechanism looks a lot like a belgian one. However it's too corroded to see a name or maker's mark.

I do know this is a long shot , i do know the gun is in terrible condition, however it's my first gun and restauration project (in progress) so it has a lot of santimental value. If anyone can shed any light on this , it would be great help.
Wood Gun barrel Hardwood Trigger Air gun
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory
Wood Floor Varnish Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Artifact Hardwood Religious item Symbol

Finger Wood Thumb Nail Natural material

Wood Household hardware Wood stain Hand tool Hardwood

Wood Twig Rectangle Hardwood Tints and shades

Wood Hardwood Metal Fashion accessory Rectangle

Hand tool Wood Finger Tool Bicycle part

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a really old one for sure.
I don't know if I'd feel comfortable firing it, tho.
Thanks for sharing the photos
I wish I could help more but I'm no historian
Oh , no way i'm firing this .First an fremost because it's illegal in Bulgaria .Second , because i also don't feel comfrotable. It will remain a wall piece. But it does tell a nice story :)

· Registered
23,359 Posts
Well, the gun has a Malherbe lock, or close facsimile, and while Malherbe made sporting rifles/muskets/fowlers for wealthy clients, they were mostly known for military rifles. They made the Malherbe 1842, the Saxon/Dresden M1851 (Which may or may not be separate models), and the m/1855, all of which had that lock.

Malherbe was also known for their intricate wood carving.

This, however, is not a pattern of rifle that I can find in the literature of Malherbe. They typically made fancy locks for sporting guns and left the 1842 pattern locks for large-scale commercial trade.

Both the Union and the Confederacy listed the various Malherbe rifles as "top grade", and the guns were prized. Many surplus Malherbe muskets and rifles were turned into gorgeous sporters around the world from the 1850s through the 1880s.

Basically: Either someone copied/used an "1842"-pattern Malherbe lock on a custom rifle, that IS a Malherbe that was beautifully "sportered"(but isn't marked as such?), or that was a custom-made gun by Malherbe or one of his apprentices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts