Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Global Warming Enthusiast
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hungarian real deal pre-ban AK underfolder. I am looking to buy a real Russian AK fixed stock, not a parts kit with an American receiver... but I want the real deal. Are these banned to transfer now? I would possible go for an eastern bloc instead, East German, Yugo, Romanian etc... I just want the rifle as it was originally made with matching parts.

Any sources or advice on how to come by such an animal? Seems like all the stuff on Gunbroker are builds. They are cool, but I'm an originality guy.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Hungarian underfolder and I don't see a Russki being any nicer. But I have seen Izhmash rifles at local gun shows so they still are in circulation, if you are willing to part with significant coin.
What's significant coin? The pre-ban Hungarians are going for $3,500 these days.... It's not so much about it being "nicer" I guess cjleete, I am sure a lot of these USA builds are top-notch. It's just more of a collectible thing for me. I just want a com-bloc AK. I hate to buy a Chinese version although I hear they are really good.

Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
3500 dollars? Wow I need to take mine to a gun show, It's a good gun but If ppl are gettin that kind of money for one I need the money much more than an old commie gun
If it's a pre-ban yes. EDIT: Maybe a tad less... the market may have cooled a bit. They were 3,500 a couple months back.

Registered
As you know, all AKs since Oct 1, 1989 are imported as barrels and receivers and assembled in the US mow, even though they say they are Polish or whatever. My experience is that the cheap ammo and old Guns have been shot a lot and you are not going to find a nice one from Russia and combloc will vary. .Most have seen a lot of use. The few at the shows are rough.

I have a matching number Sks and an original MAK 90 that I bought in 84 and 93 respectively

The MAK 90s have the stamped receiver but hundreds of us here locally bought them and they are holding up as good as the Polytech Legend which are pricey here. Probably the MAK 90 is about the best AK value there is., if you want to modify the ugly stock. and make them 922 compliant.. About $1500 here in Oklahoma.

Otherwise just the local builds are good. If I were buying today I would not search for an original. I would buy one if these.I know what you want just doubt you can find one.

DPMS, seriously.
Font Gas Engineering Metal Wood

DPMS Anvil AK47 SALE - AtlanticFirearms.com

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgive my (dumb) questions here, I am not an "AK guy" so I really don't know the answers. They are probably right here in the description hiding in plain sight, but why is this Saiga seemingly a complete AK where others from these years were parts kits?

Reactions: neophyte

Registered
Forgive my (dumb) questions here, I am not an "AK guy" so I really don't know the answers. They are probably right here in the description hiding in plain sight, but why is this Saiga seemingly a complete AK where others from these years were parts kits?

There were 103s that came in thru Norway and other places, some assembled here by Arsenal and others. I think there were over 250000 produced. AR 15.com has a lot on them. US Made AK103 Head to Head Comparison Full Review Up - AR15.COM I have nothing to help just saw a ton of them pass thru.

AK USA might be helpful. KR-103 7.62x39mm Rifle-SHARK FIN MLOK WALNUT - Kalashnikov USA (kalashnikov-usa.com. US made AK under license , about as close as one can get now.

• KR-103 7.62X39MM RIFLE 鈥 BATTLE WORN 鈥 STEEL
KR-103 7.62X39MM RIFLE 鈥 BATTLE WORN 鈥 STEEL
$1,299.00
SKU: KR103BATTLESILVER
Ships to most states. See details below.
As low as $76.68/month with . Learn More

Out of Stock

Registered
What's significant coin? The pre-ban Hungarians are going for $3,500 these days.... It's not so much about it being "nicer" I guess cjleete, I am sure a lot of these USA builds are top-notch. It's just more of a collectible thing for me. I just want a com-bloc AK. I hate to buy a Chinese version although I hear they are really good.
Heya Bro 馃槂 . I I completely understand, after picking up my Norinco / Polytech AK Hunter which I would highly recommend and I guarantee you won't be disappointed with cause they're awesome. I also went on the hunt for a Russian and wound up stumbling into a deal for my Russian PSL based on a Romanian receiver. Granted the original Barrel had been chopped into three pieces, the important parts that mattered like the front sight, the handguard and the gas block assembly were all there and just had to be transferred to the new fluted stainless Barrel. In today's market with the way things are a nice parts kit might be the way to go bro but zi think you"ll like a polytech. If you can find one to take for a test drive in your area, Jump On It you might just be suprised 馃槂 ..

Registered
Keep in mind also that "Commie Guns" include:

--the CZ 75 handgun series (rather popular here), still being manufactured, and

--the VZ-58 rifles in 7.62x39 or .223. This was designed in 1958 with Very different receiver components compared with the AKM.

The words Czech Republic explain a good bit.

Registered
Keep in mind also that "Commie Guns" include:

--the CZ 75 handgun series (rather popular here), still being manufactured, and

--the VZ-58 rifles in 7.62x39 or .223. This was designed in 1958 with Very different receiver components compared with the AKM.

The words Czech Republic explain a good bit.
The Czechs were ill-suited to communism. They have too much individualism and creativity. Historically, the Czechs' biggest problem was that they were too far ahead of their time.

They were 100 years early with Protestantism.

500 years early on tank analogs with their war wagons.

They invented a lot of the arms and armament in the middle ages that German and Italian states got credit for.

They invented the lithographic press.

They produced the first muskets to have the configuration we all know today, as well as the barrel band..

They hit the Industrial Revolution early, and practically invented automated textile weaving, high speed Steam engines, and the modern boiler standard. (But German unification, and the refusal of the Czechs and Bohemians to join resulted in all their Teutonic investors pulling out, and them going from the forefront, to trailing behind)

They were 20 years ahead on using propellers for ships.

They recognized, and were testing people for, blood groups a good 20 years before the rest of the world acknowledged such a thing existed.

The first safety device for automobiles all the way back in 1898 with the invention of the fender.

The "Stoner"-style bolt which was stolen by Fosberry first, and Johnson after him, but seems to be based on a Brno patent.

Pretty much every modern machine gun "designed" (read STOLEN) by the Germanic, Slavic or English peoples.

Vaklav and Emmanuel Holek seemed to design every major Western machine gun, or modern military rifle or ammo concept years before Western designers took credit for those inventions. (Tunable rate of fire, frangible and fragmenting bullets, a buffer tube system that is suspiciously like Stoner's - only a decade earlier, the automatic belt loader/unloader for machine guns, to name a few of his 75 patents)

Franti拧ek and Josef Kouck媒 invented the modern combat handgun, and arguably the most influential, if not greatest, combat pistol since WWII.

The Mach speed/inertia system.

Registered
PaleHawkDown:
Wow. Thanks.
I only remembered a small fraction of that list of Czech accomplishments. That is amazing.

I sent a photo of that list to a former 'pre-merger' coworker from southern Texas whose father was 100% Czech.
This guy (a "ringknocker", then Navy P-3 pilot) set some records with ARs on the Navy Rifle Team.

My wife and I visited Prague around 1998, really like the people and Stare Mesto, Hradceny etc.

Registered
PaleHawkDown:
Wow. Thanks.
I only remembered a small fraction of that list of Czech accomplishments. That is amazing.

I sent a photo of that list to a former 'pre-merger' coworker from southern Texas whose father was 100% Czech.
This guy (a "ringknocker", then Navy P-3 pilot) set some records with ARs on the Navy Rifle Team.

My wife and I visited Prague around 1998, really like the people and Stare Mesto, Hradceny etc.

At one point I wanted to write a book called "How the Scottish and Czechs Invented The Modern World, And Never Got Credit." That was just a fraction of the things I found.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts