Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to the forums so let me say Hi.
I want to get a Deer rifle for hunting with my girlfriends family but I am on a small budget. I have been doing the footwork over the last week and found out about the mosin. I guess what I am wondering is what would be the best deer rifle, scope, stock, etc. for medium range plains hunting. I have read good things about the 44 but I am wondering if it is the best for a deer rifle. I apologize if I sound to needy and unintelligent, but I am pretty new to guns.
Thanks for all of the help.
Jason

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Welcome to G&G mate.Dont be afraid to ask questions.Good bunch on here,lots of know how.

I have my rifle for deer,i use a BRNO model 602 300winchester magnum.

Not knowing what sort of budget rifles you lot can get over their ill just say that the nagants are a good strong rifle,a little agricultural but most shoot well.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
while the mosin is a decent rifle, for a first deer rifle, you will be better served by one of the savage/stevens package guns.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd agree with lefty. Savage's are a lower priced set of guns yet good enough to start with. Find a packaged set with a scope for your best unintelligent buying options.

My first deer/elk rifle was a Winchester model 70 in .270 in black synthetic stock with a Simmons 3X9 50mm objective scope that I bought at a gun show. I had read up and specifically chosen that rifle before I decided to buy it, for relative decent quality, low pricing, and durability.

Any other questions, feel free to ask on here. Guys on here won't think you're an idiot just because you don't know firearms very well.

·
Registered
980 Posts
i use my m-44 to deer and coyote hunt from time to time. the only down side i realy see is the bad saftey it is a little hard to use.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
A nice bolt action Stevens 200 can be had new for about 275.00 - 300.00, and comes in just about every popular caliber :burnout:there is

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
As much as I love the Mosin and believe it to be an excellent deer rifle, the suggestions of a Stevens/Savage package gun are probably your best bet.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
A nice bolt action Stevens 200 can be had new for about 275.00 - 300.00, and comes in just about every popular caliber :burnout:there is
Depends on exactly how small that budget is. $275-300.00 is a budget-buster for me sometimes, depending on what else is going on, and I have a steady job.

With a little luck, he can get a 91/30 or an M44 for less than a hundred bucks and be on his way, if he's comfortable with iron sights.

Aquacopter, if you have the money the advice about getting a Savage/Stevens package is sound. If you don't, grab a Mosin and go for it. It'll take down anything a .30-06 will handle.

But whatever you buy, spend a little money and time to burn some ammo and get comfortable with it; I'd hate for your first shot with it to be at a deer.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
good used .243

Anyone honestly seeking knowledge deserves our respect. Check pawn shops and newspaper ads.
As you are new, go with a gun you can take to the range and get some practice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the help. But I can't float the 300 dollars for a savage since I have spent so much money on a Tom Brown Jr. course and Gear. I just wanted to make sure that the Mosin could work as a decent deer hunting rifle. I would put a scope on it most likely. But I don't know if I need to change the stock. I have heard that it lessens the kick which lessens upward motion. I do plan to practice a lot once I get a rifle. I have shot rifles before but it has been a while since and I bet I am pretty rusty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i say the 91/30 with an original 3.5X PU scope...but then again thats my answer for everything :09:
its a good rifle...very precise..and realtively cheap...all together within $300 i think (scope and rifle)..considering its an x-sniper..if it isnt..then u gotta drill and tap the receiver. and bend the bolt... i dunno how much that costs in the US?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I Deer hunt with an M44, for the same reason auqacopter and troy2000 gave. Some time soon I should get myself something better (hopefully) but in the mean time an M44 kills 'em just as dead as anything else will. As has already been mentioned the safety is a real bear. I bought my M44 simply to hunt with it, but enjoy it more just for shooting down at the gravel pit. If I were to buy a milsurp now for deer hunting I would buy a yugo or turk 8mm mauser. I think the sights on the mausers are much better than on the mosin(just my opinion), and last I saw they could still be gotten for less than a benjamin and a half at Mill's Fleet Farm.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Buy a M44, put a Scout Scope package on it, and spend the rest on good quality hunting ammo. Then go shoot, shoot, shoot!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of a scout scope is compared to a normal scope. I have seen packages for installing a scope over the rear sight and without any gunsmithing. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard about or used one of these. I saw it at Mosin Nagant Parts and Accessories. Thanks everyone for all of the help.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of a scout scope is compared to a normal scope. I have seen packages for installing a scope over the rear sight and without any gunsmithing. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard about or used one of these. I saw it at Mosin Nagant Parts and Accessories. Thanks everyone for all of the help.
Fast target acquisition, and you can still use stripper clips. I put one on the first 91/30 I bought, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer. Maybe this coming year I'll get a chance...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts