Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last summer was one of the driest ever, but the surest way to get rain is to leave your Ruger 10-22 on your four-wheeler for 3 days in which during these 3 days it rained twice. The rain worped the lamenent stock pretty bad. The scope finally dried out but it was off Zero. So much for a $30 Simmons. :34: The worp finally came out of the stock when it dried but the outside grain stood up pretty bad. The stock did not come apart so I think it can be refinished, but I do not have any experience with lamenent. Just so you know, 97 degrees with 2" of rain, 100% humidity is not a good place to store guns, especially lamenent. Please help.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
six shot you just taught me something good and thats to never buy a Laminate stock gun !
Some of the gun manufacture tout them to be imprevalous to water like composit stocks and apparently there not.
I would junk the stock and buy a nice composit style to your likeing.

With that said...

You lazy azz !!! :) LOL !! Don't ever leave a gun out in the rain again ! :)...A.H

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its one of those full length stocks and i just love it! i have to try. also there a diff. there in being water resistante and what i did to the poor gun . the sights and scope mount screws rusted and driped rust water onto the ss. i got most of that off. did i mention it was in direct sun light? i love my guns,but they have got to be tuff to hang around here! thanks for the reply ,i am new to this internet stuff!

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey know problem and I hope you didn't mind me kidding with you.
Seriously can't you take a certain steel wool and rub down (off) the raised grain.
You should be able to slick that laminate stock back up to it's origenal finish.
With steel wool ...A.H

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no problem with kidding. i was born for it! what do i put on the stock after that?
the factory stuff seems to be some tipe of clear coat.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Use 0000 steel wool, then finish. There are many clear finishes.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
is that 4 zero's steve?
:09:

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
six shot Sherwin Williams paint stores use to have Poly Urathane in a spray can that is clearer than water and easy to apply.
I use to do a lot of wood working and used it all the time, it's tuff has nails and very durable get that oooo steel wool SwedeSteve mentioned and some stain and polyurathane spray and you'll be good to go...A.H

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry it took so long to get back.work really gets in the way of my gun stuff! i will try your advise ,i got nuttin to loose. thanks guys!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts