Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First allow me to apologize for the length of my first post.Secondly,thanks for having me.OK here we go. I have a 110 in 30 06 pre accutrigger. I am having problems with mis fires.Please bear with me as I give some history.After accidentally spilling a cup of coffee into the receiver on a below zero morning and freezing the firing pin to the bolt, I dipped it in boiling water and stripped it.Cleaned and oiled every thing and re assembled it.About this time I decided to try my hand at bedding the action.Bought a new wood stock and a bedding kit ,and was pretty proud of myself.Shortly after I started getting the occasional mis fire. Must be my handloads? So I switched primers. More mis fires. Switched case lube,no change. Switched priming tools. Still no change. Thats it, Back to factory ammo for me. You guessed it.more misfires.Took it to a gunsmith.He milled off the rear pillar cause it looked like the sear was hanging up on it.He even put my action in his stock and it worked fine.Well after todays visit to the range I am totally frustrated.Mis fires still.With Rem.factory ammo.The primers on the mis fires are all dented shallower than those that fire I even tried one of the mis fires in my new 114 Euro Classic and it didn;t fire. Forgot to mention that I also changed the firing pin just in case and then switched it back cause it didnt help. Im sinking fast,please help.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Sounds like a firing pin/ firing pin spring issue to me. If the headspace is correct and you feel some reistance closing the bolt, then the firing pin needs to be checked for Protrusion with a guage. I would as a Gunsmith tear it apart and inspect the firing pin channel
, the pin, the spring , and make sure there is nothing stuck in the face of the channel internally, clean, no oil on it or gummy stuff like coffee inside. Then make sure it is properly reassembled... springs can lose tension when heated above 200 degrees in some cases due to the heat affecting the metal composition and temper.
Rich

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mooseman. I checked the protrusion and come up with.056. Same as my other 3 Savages. Funny thing is the other day at the range when it mis fired I lifted the bolt ,closed it and it fired on the second try. Did this three different times. Now ,it continues to mis fire no matter how many times I re try it. I may get as many as 10 misfires per box.It kinda looks like the initial strike (on a mis fire) sets the primer a little deeper but not enough to ignite.The bolt has been throughly cleaned numerous times.No excess heat either.I discovered after replacing the pin that it was the newer thinner style so I went back to the original pin.Im kinda of the opinion that the spring may be weak. Problem is I cant find a source for the older parts because I no longer have my FFL. Do you know if I can safely use the bolt assembly from my new 114 in my older 110.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I would replace the Mainspring , (you have to specify caliber) and that is available from E-gun parts, (Numrich arms), Brownells, or contact Savage !
DO NOT change Bolts due to Headspace issues, etc.
You can order the parts without an FFL, and change them yourself. You didn't re-adjust the cocking piece link washer or the firing pin stop nut and washer did you ??? they may need adjusting by a Competent Smith !!!
Rich

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I may have screwed up the setting.Savage won't talk to me cause the gun is pre most recent company change.I guess I need to find a good gun smith that works on Savages.If I find an early pin and spring how do I know if its set right.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sounds like the Fpin is not moving freely. It may be striking the primer but at low speed. Cock it with no bullet in the gun. Put a new pencil down the barrel(never shrpened). It should kick the pencil out like your other bolt actions do.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
A pin at .056 should work, I set some to.059 Maximum protrusion , as this seems to work best without piercing a primer. There are 8 pieces to the firing pin/ cocking mechanism and they have to be clean and installed properly , especially the cocking piece, the sleeve , and the cocking pin, also, make sure the bolt head retaining pin is in perfectly lined up so the firing pin goes thru it freely. A Competent gunsmith should be able to tear that bolt apart in a few minutes and find out if there is any binding or other problem fast, and if the mainspring is weak, Replace that !
Look for a spot on the rear threads where the cocking piece lock washer was originally installed and put it in the same location if possible, before screwing on the cocking piece and inserting the pin...I wish you were closer, so we could perform Surgery on it together, and find the problem.
Rich

·
Registered
8 Posts
A pin at .056 should work, I set some to.059 Maximum protrusion , as this seems to work best without piercing a primer. There are 8 pieces to the firing pin/ cocking mechanism and they have to be clean and installed properly , especially the cocking piece, the sleeve , and the cocking pin, also, make sure the bolt head retaining pin is in perfectly lined up so the firing pin goes thru it freely. A Competent gunsmith should be able to tear that bolt apart in a few minutes and find out if there is any binding or other problem fast, and if the mainspring is weak, Replace that !
Look for a spot on the rear threads where the cocking piece lock washer was originally installed and put it in the same location if possible, before screwing on the cocking piece and inserting the pin...I wish you were closer, so we could perform Surgery on it together, and find the problem.
Rich
On a diff subject about Savage model 110 .270 cal, I've been trying to find a users manual for this rifle but had no luck at all. Can you or anyone steer me to some webpage so I can at least print (PDF) this manual or do I contact Savage Arms about this. Thanking you in advance---Ray

·
Registered
14 Posts
there is an outfit called sharpshooters supply in oh that claims to be the savage guru if you don't figure it out you might give him a shout

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your problem could be as simple as tightening the assembly bolt at the back of the rifle bolt. It is common that during reassembly that you may not have gotten it tight because you would feel spring pressure. Try tightening it before you do anything else. I would bet the price of a spring that is your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my Savage 110 in 30-06. I just purchased a new spring from Midway USA and I'm hoping it solves the problem. I also noticed that the bolt assembly screw wasn't complely tight. Can anyone tell me the correct/safest way to compress the main spring so I can screw the cocking piece back on?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got it fixed. Took it to the local Gander Mtn. gunsmith and he adjusted the firing pin,checked the headspace and gave it a thorough cleaning. Seems fine now. Another problem now. I tore my retina again and the Dr, thinks i should drop down to lighter recoiling rifles. Dang it all. Looks like I will be selling or trading my turkey gun as well as my two 06s and my 12 ga. slugger. Oh well such is life. P.S. I am now posting under the name Redarrow. Happy New Year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts