Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a new taurus single action. i have many single action pistols including rrugers colts and ubertis. i can not sing enough praises about the fit and finish and overall quailty off this gun . the action is my favorite part! the hamer and trigger pull are excellent;however the gun shoots about 6 inches high and 4 inches to the left at 20 yards. this is just not good enough for what i need . is there anything i can do ?:)

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Wish I could help you out. Only thing I know, once a buddy had a .38 snub nose. When shooting you could literally see the bullet going to the right of what you were aiming at. It was horrible. I just attributed it to the short barrel. I'm sure yours isn't a short barrel. Probably what, 4 1/2" barrel maybe?

If I had to guess, I'd ask if the cylinder is lining up properly? Could some lead, be getting shaved off as it leaves the cylinder, if it is off a tad, thus altering the bullets path? Again, I'm just throwing it out there cuz I haven't a clue, especially on a new firearm.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
The only way to get it to shoot lower is install a taller front sight. You could file the rear sight notch wider to the side you want it to shoot to or you could bend the front sight. Or you can live with it and learn to shoot it as is. SA's either shoot to point of aim or they don't. I got lucky with my two Ubertis. They both shoot to same POA laterally but low. I could file the front sights down but I'm lazy. I just put the middle of the front sight in the rear notch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply. some one suggested having the barret turned to correct the windage problem. anyone ever had that done? where the heck is heidelberg??? i,m from ms and never heard of it.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
You said in your initial post it was new. Just how new, how long you had it? I mean if I bought a gun, new, and it shot that far off I'd either consider returning it or calling the manufacturer. I mean, I highly doubt one of the Ruger six shooters would be that bad, or would and are they also?

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
i have a new taurus single action. i have many single action pistols including rrugers colts and ubertis. i can not sing enough praises about the fit and finish and overall quailty off this gun . the action is my favorite part! the hamer and trigger pull are excellent;however the gun shoots about 6 inches high and 4 inches to the left at 20 yards. this is just not good enough for what i need . is there anything i can do ?:)
both of my pietta's shoot 4 inches to the left also.
i was told to bend the front sight 1 sight blade thickness.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
thanks for the reply. some one suggested having the barret turned to correct the windage problem. anyone ever had that done? where the heck is heidelberg??? i,m from ms and never heard of it.
You might get away with that without putting the ejector rod in a bind.
Heidelberg is 15 miles North of Laurel and 35 miles South of Meridian on I59.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Take it to a gun smith that specializes in single action revolvers, you might think this sounds crazy,but point of aim, and point of impact,can be solved with some pressure,using a Hydraulic press.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
So am I correct in understanding it's the norm for this style of firearm to shoot this poorly, or to be this far off? If so, is there a known cause? In reading the other replies, I've gotten the impression it is common for this style of firearm and decided to research it. In my search, and any article I was able to find, none seemed to mention this. Even those that tested them. I did make sure to not read any article that was provided by Taurus, or any other manufacturer of them, as they're obviously biased.

I don't currently own a firearm of this style. Although I've considered getting one, and to now hear of this, I'm beginning to think twice about it. Again, I've heard this was and can be a common problem or occurrence with short barreled revolvers, snubbies in general, and have heard it can happen even with some semi autos, mainly in the smaller calibers as well, but I was totally unaware it was such a common occurrence among or in this style of firearms, especially with the high calibers such as .357, .44mag and .45 long colts. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I'd say it happens more often than not. Fixed sights are merely a guide not the precise instruments ajustable sights of today are. Most people back in the day only owned one pistol and knew how to shoot it. Not like today where people have several and don't want to take the time to learn their guns idiosyncrasies. They just want to line the sights up and have a hole appear in the x. I have several sa's and some shoot to POA and some don't. I don't fret about it I just learn to aim where they hit and I ain't half bad if I do say so myself. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, even if it does sound that way.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
No, your not being sarcastic at all. I appreciate the feedback. How you put it also makes it seem a little less of a problem with the style of the gun and more of it's the way they are and one just needs to adjust to it. Not, as I the impression I got or took from the initial question that, there is something wrong with the firearm itself; but, in some cases, can there be?

But, are there or is there a brand that can be bought, where this isn't the norm, or that don't shoot this far off? Ruger or Cimmaron for example, are these brands known for being that far off POA? I ask, because as previously mentioned, I've been considering one, in fact I've been considering the Ruger Vaquero in .45 colt stainless (not a big fan of the color cased finish, yet, who knows, it may grow on me), a Blackhawk again in .45 colt, blued version this time , and a Super Blackhawk , and again blued, in .44 Rem. mag.. So any input, even if sarcastic, again, you weren't, is and would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
IMHO I don't think it would make any difference what brand you got. It's the nature of the beast. Manufacturing tolerances play a big part. You have a bunch of machined parts and you put them all together, then you mill a slot down the top strap before it's ever fired. It would be cost prohibitive to fine tune each individual gun to hit POA. I'm kinda surprised any of them hit POA but many do, or at least come close. BTW this was common with original guns too. Kentucky windage isn't tht hard to learn. Just look at it as a reason to shoot more. I've had a couple of Rugers and they hit pretty close but not perfect. I have a Uberti Cattleman and a Cimarron model P made by Uberti and both hit dead on laterally but low. I know every Uberti isn't like that.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the advice rebel. I truly do appreciate it. I'll keep this style on my want list them. I'm still leaning toward the Rugers I listed more then any other. Really liking the Blackhawk.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I had a taurus single action with the same problem. When I took it to my gunsmith he asked if I wanted it fixed or rigged. of course I told him fixed. He milled down the rear of the reciever and mounted a ruger blackhawk rear adjustable on it. Cost me $100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as mentioned , many single actions do not shoot to poa. i have had many ubertis and one vaquaro that did not. in the past this was not a problem, i just sold the gun. this gun was a gift from my wife.(don;t get many of them) so i problay stuck with it . plus i really like this gun . it was smother out of the box than my ruger with a action job.i have a super blackhawk but it just doesn,t have that colt feel that i want. plus its a good deal heaver and a lot bigger and the caliber doesn,t match my rossi 92.(yea iknow i,m a little heavy on the brazil guns) does anyone make a colt style single action with adj sights? uberti used to but i haven,t seen one avertised in a while.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
my usfa's shot where ipointed them right out of the box and at 25-yd will give my wessons a run for thier money accuracy wise and they did not need a trigger job either ell worth the money
did i mention i bought the rodeo their lowest priced option

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own both a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 LC and a Taurus Gaucho in .357 I agree with you as to the feel of the Gaucho. It is smooth as silk and feels like a colt. I like both guns. I will take them out tomorrow and bench test both at 20-25 yards. I have not bench tested either as of yet. I have fired both guns @ about 20-50 feet free style and was happy with the groups. I will try it with a bench rest if the weather is not too cold tomorrow. And let you know what mine do. Neither have been tweaked, they are straight out of the box.~JJ~

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kentucky Windage ?

That sounds kind of extreme to me. Have you considered shipping it back to the factory or asking for a replacement ? Only other thing I can suggest it to use good old "Kentucky Windage" :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts