Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield

Your Pattern 1917 Enfield has been modified as a sporting rifle, which was a common fate for these, since they were accurate and durable.
Great old rifles.
My first real high powered rifle was an M1917 in 30-06 . I took my 1st whitetail with it. A real tack driver with a scope mounted using a no gunsmith mount !!

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Obviously someone also took the time to mark what powder load and bullet weight worked well with that fine looking firearm.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Obviously someone also took the time to mark what powder load and bullet weight worked well with that fine looking firearm.
In addition I looks like some good work went into the rifle. The overall quality of the rifle suggest you may want to consider changing out that scope. How does the rifle shoot? We are assuming your rifle is a 1917 in 30-06.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,200 Posts
Always wanted a Model 1917 Eddystone. Although it may sound heretical, to me it feels better than and has better sights than the M903A3 Springfield. Never managed to find one at the same time I had the money to buy it!

Reactions: jwrauch and Big Dog

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Can anyone decipher these markings on my 30.06? I guess its a Lee Enfield but not sure...Looks like serial # is H5907?
Looking at it more closely, I wonder if that might not have been somebody's sniper rifle. If they took the time to mark powder weight and bullet weight on it. Not too sure what the 3 markings above it are although they look like crowns.

·
Banned
744 Posts
We never saw many P14 Enfield's. This was the original 303 caliber rifle that preceded the 1917. Those rifles were beautifully finished out like civilian Remington firearms of that time. I have seen some high condition 1917's before being Parkerized. Those guns also were very well finished.

Some more pictures of the marks would be helpful. It's hard to make out the details.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In addition I looks like some good work went into the rifle. The overall quality of the rifle suggest you may want to consider changing out that scope. How does the rifle shoot? We are assuming your rifle is a 1917 in 30-06.
I am not a great shot, but I had a friend shoot it who is a target shooter, and he couldn't believe how repeatable it was. He grouped 6 shots in about a 1/2" at 100 yards with it from a rest.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Mine could put four handloads using 150 grain Speer soft points into a 3/4 inch group @ 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I have a P-14 in .303 that'll shoot decent groups..

Reactions: jwrauch
1 - 12 of 12 Posts