Help!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mike the JAG, May 13, 2002.

1. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG Guest

I've got the kit, I've got the US made parts to make it legal, the receiver is ordered. I put the receiver stub in the vise, tried to put my brand new Craftsman 27mm combination wrench on the barrel. It doesn't fit. I filed the flats on the barrel so the wrench would fit. Pulled mightily on the wrench. No movement. Are there magic words? I've used all the Anglo-Saxon ones I can think of, to no avail. Is there a trick or is it just stubborn?

2. Get a propane torch and heat the stub until it quits smoking. A lot of kits had some kind of thread compound on the barrel shank.

If that doesn't work, then hacksaw (or Dremel) the stub in the cocking handle channel until you get to the threads on the barrel shank. It should definitely turn off then. Usually, what I do is dremel down till I almost get to the threads, thn I give it a whack with a cold chisel and a BFH. That'll crack the stub so you can see the threads.

Remember, patience is a virtue!

3. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG Guest

Thanks, Phil. Should the 27mm wrench fit without filing? I didn't have to take off much, but it was a suprise when it didn't fit. I'll try the torch method first and if that doesn't work, go to the hacksaw and BFH. Patience is one of the other virtues with which I am not blessed.

4. I had to file my 27mm, but only till I could tap it on with a hammer. It should be tighter than a slip fit because it will round the corners on the shoulder flats if it is not tight.

5. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG Guest

Used the hacksaw/cold chisel/BFH method. Worked like a charm! Turned the receiver on by hand, it stops somewhere between 15-30 degrees before TDC, so that looks good. The GO/NO GO gauges have been shipped from Midway, the receiver wrench has been ordered. If the locking shoulder is the right one, I hope to test fire within a week. If it's not, is there a way to measure without buying the graduated rods? I'm not cheap, it's just that my wife and daughter keep asking, "Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have just bought a rifle?" I keep saying this is cheaper and I'm having fun doing it, but I don't think they are convinced.