Help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PlumberjimC, Aug 30, 2002.

1. PlumberjimC

PlumberjimC Guest

Tried the Eddystone this afternoon and it was all over the county. The table, rest, sand bags and such are plenty solid and work fine for my Garand, AR, etc, but the 1917 was throwing them everywhere. No pattern or anything else. Something loose?
    For you folks that know, where do I start?
    Thanks

2. wes

wes Guest

I would check several things. Headspace,muzzle crown,loose barrel,too tight barrel fit in stock. About all I can think of right now.

3. Gyrene

Gyrene Guest

PlumberjimC - I am just swinging in the wind, but could the rifle have a 303 barrel? A .30-06 (.308) bullet will wander around, and be inconsistent travelling through a 303 (which is a .324) barrel.

Maybe a P-14 barrel was installed on the M1917 Eddystone. The only way I know would be to slug the barrel (use a lead bullet slightly larger than the suspected size, drive it into the bore with a brass rod and a wooden or plastic mallet. Drive it back out, or preferably all the way through, and measure the two diameters (lands & grooves). A .30-06 barrel will be approximately .308 in its largest diameter. A 303 British barrel will be approximately .324 at its largest diameter.

I'm sensitive to what I was scolded for; I was told in no uncertain terms, that the M1917 .30-06 Rifle is not and never has been a P-17. That is an unacceptable carryover by unknowing people from the British designated P-14, which is a standard identification used by the British.

I promise I will not scold anyone for saying P-17, but you will forever see me write it as the M1917, whether I am writing about the Remington, Eddystone, or Winchester. Well, you may see me identify it as an M1917 (P-17).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2002