close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

helwan 9mm

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by knabenhaft, Jun 27, 2002.

1. knabenhaft

knabenhaft G&G Newbie

Found a helwan 9mm for sale and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these. They are a copy of the beretta model 51. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've got the Maadi Cadet - same thing made for the civilian market. Pretty accurate, as long as I concentrate on trigger control. It's got a very heavy, stiff trigger pull, which is okay in a defensive pistol. Shooting will be a deliberate act, not an accident. The sights are kind of small. The magazine catch scrapes the side of the magazine, so I have to hold the button down when removing the magazine. Finish is typically spartan, as you would expect from a third-world copy.
    It prefers UMC 115grain FMJ ammo. Winchester has not impressed me of late, with spotty quality control. Had two no-fires (primers went "FFFFFT!") and one primer seated sideways, all in the same box. I haven't tried the cheaper ammo, yet _ Wolf or CCI Blaser.
    A good gunsmith familiar with berettas should be able to handle any needs, like the trigger work. I haven't made this a priority, since this gun isn't my primary defensive pistol. I've just always like the original Brigadier design.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I had a Helwan Brigadier 9mm pistol. It is a modified Walther P-38 type pistol. It is a pretty decent, cheap pistol. Kind of like an Egyptian Tokarev.