Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just received this email from Henry:
Dear Henry Dealers,
By popular demand, we are excited to announce to you a large transition in our product line to include side loading gates on all steel-framed centerfire lever-action rifles and shotguns that did not already have this feature. Additionally, we are announcing 3 new extensions of our H015 Single Shot lineup with new calibers and configurations.

With this announcement, we are officially discontinuing the "legacy" models that these new upgraded models are replacing. Any open orders that we have for the legacy models from our wholesale distributors are being closed and new orders will need to be placed through your distributor(s) for the upgraded versions.
These new models are shipping now and are available through your preferred Henry distributor.

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/

Rifle Name / MSRP 2020
Steel Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate $941.00
All-Weather Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate $1,108.00
Color Case Hardened Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate $1,108.00
Steel Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate Large Loop $955.00
Steel Wildlife Edition .30-30 Side Gate $1,572.00
Steel Lever Action .45-70 Side Gate $941.00
All-Weather Lever Action .45-70 Side Gate $1,108.00
Color Case Hardened Lever Action .45-70 Side Gate $1,108.00
Steel Wildlife Edition .45-70 Side Gate $1,572.00
Big Boy Steel .44 Mag/.44 Spl Side Gate $941.00
Big Boy All-Weather .44 Mag/.44 Spl Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Steel .45 Colt Side Gate $941.00
Big Boy All-Weather .45 Colt Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Color Case Hardened .44 Mag/.44 Spl Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Color Case Hardened .45 Colt Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Steel .45 Colt Side Gate Large Loop $955.00
Big Boy Steel Carbine .45 Colt Side Gate $941.00
Big Boy Color Case Hardened Carbine .45 Colt Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Steel .44 Mag/.44 Spl Side Gate Large Loop $955.00
Big Boy Steel .357 Mag/.38 Spl Side Gate $941.00
Big Boy All-Weather .357 Mag/.38 Spl Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Color Case Hardened .357 Mag/.38 Spl Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Steel .357 Mag/.38 Spl Side Gate Large Loop $955.00
Big Boy Steel Carbine .357 Mag/.38 Spl Side Gate $941.00
Big Boy Color Case Hardened Carbine .357 Mag/.38 Spl Side Gate $1,108.00
Big Boy Steel Carbine .44 Mag/.44 Spl Side Gate $941.00
Big Boy Carbine Color Case Hardened Carbine .44 Mag/.44 Spl Side Gate $1,108.00
Single Shot Shotgun Slug Barrel 12 Gauge $543.00
Single Shot Rifle .350 Legend Win $510.00
Single Shot Rifle .450 Bushmaster $510.00
Lever Action Shotgun .410 Bore 24" Side Gate $983.00
Lever Action Shotgun .410 Bore 19.75" Side Gate $941.00

Just thought interested folks would want to know.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am guessing the rimfire rifles will remain tube loading only since they only mention center fire rifles and shotguns? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I gave this a 'like' because it appears even with the side gate they'll be retaining the tube you can load and unload with. Best of both worlds.
THAT would be the smartest thing of all.

I'll believe it exist when I hold one in my hands.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am guessing the rimfire rifles will remain tube loading only since they only mention center fire rifles and shotguns? Does anyone know?
I talked to the Henry design folks a couple years ago about the rim-fires and they said they were looking at adding the side loading. If you recall, adding a suppressor to a Henry 22 lever did not work very well because you had to take the suppressor off each time you wanted to pull out the tube to reload. So, they designed one with a short tube just for that purpose. So, the Frontier model was their solution, a long 24 inch barrel that only held 8 rounds in 22 magnum. Anyway, a lever 22 mag suppressed makes a nice 150 yard gun even on coyotes and sounds like a 22 short. So, they said while they had the Frontier as a solution to that problem that they were considering it. Henry Frontier Model Long Barrel Lever Action with Bowers Group Silencers (ammoland.com)
I really do not expect them to do so from my discussions with them. On a center fire having the ability to reload on the move like while hunting or in cowboy action makes sense. Not so much on a rimfire. My 2 cents.

I have a couple Rossi lever guns that have both the side load and the tube load and I love them. Easy to unload without having to run every round through the chamber.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update from Henry:

You may have received an email earlier today announcing a slew of new products to our Henry Dealers. We planned on officially announcing these on Wednesday, but the cat is out of the bag now!
By popular demand, we are excited to announce a total of 29 new models to include side loading gates on all of our steel-framed centerfire lever-action rifles and shotguns and 3 new Single Shots. You ask, and we listen. We take a lot of pride in making your dream guns come true, and it's clear that we may have done just that due to the overwhelming response from the first email. In fact, the initial response was so overwhelming it broke our website. Let's try this again!

Whether you prefer the hard-working All-Weather finish, the rustic Color Case Hardening, or the more subdued Blued steel, we now offer all of these finishes in every caliber and configuration with a side loading gate and our standard removable tube magazine.

For the Steel Single Shot Rifle, we're pleased to now offer both .350 Legend and .450 Bushmaster to give you even more options when you choose to Hunt With A Henry.

Live in a shotgun-only state? Now we've got you covered with a dedicated Slug Barrel 12 Gauge Single Shot featuring full rifling and fiber optic sights.

These new models are starting to ship now and we're excited for you to get your hands on them! While our announcement didn't go quite as planned, we hope you all enjoy these new models and we look forward to bringing you even more very soon.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave this a 'like' because it appears even with the side gate they'll be retaining the tube you can load and unload with. Best of both worlds.
THAT would be the smartest thing of all. I'll believe it exist when I hold one in my hands.
My sidegate .410 can be loaded via the sidegate or the tube just as Txplt mentioned.

As of right now that appears to be correct. Maybe because of the size of the round vs. spring tension on the sidegate would make it difficult to load?

·
Registered
893 Posts
My sidegate .410 can be loaded via the sidegate or the tube just as Txplt mentioned.

As of right now that appears to be correct. Maybe because of the size of the round vs. spring tension on the sidegate would make it difficult to load?
My Marlin 1895 in 410 is no harder than any other lever side loading so I doubt that is an issue. The 410 lever action shotgun is not very practical, but for every point it loses in practicality it makes one in the fun category. Some days I pair it with my SW Governor just for the common ammo.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Price wise, Henry sure does like their firearms.
Yes they do, but the basic guns are not bad. I bought 2 of the basic lever action 22s for grandsons, they were under $275 with a MSRP of about $400. A Marlin or Browning lever action is your only option, I think, and they are more. In the center fires I have Marlins, Rossis, and Winchesters. The Marlin is actually a little more than the Henry in guns like the 357s. If you can find one, the Rossis are less but not easy to scope, so Marlin is your only real option if you do not like the Henry. In the big bores, like 45-70 they are a little more than the Marlins which I prefer. None of them are cheap. It costs a chunk of money to grind down and fit all those moving parts on lever guns.

If you can have only one, the Golden Boy is a looker, I have one in 22 mag. When you pick up the Henrys and cycle the action you can feel a difference, they ares smooth. Probably does not matter practically or affect accuracy but you can tell the difference. Love all levers.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Still no 454:( I have been pestering them for a 454 big boy several times this past year and always get the same standard automatic reply. Who has Anthony's direct number!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes they do, but the basic guns are not bad. I bought 2 of the basic lever action 22s for grandsons, they were under $275 with a MSRP of about $400. A Marlin or Browning lever action is your only option, I think, and they are more. In the center fires I have Marlins, Rossis, and Winchesters. The Marlin is actually a little more than the Henry in guns like the 357s. If you can find one, the Rossis are less but not easy to scope, so Marlin is your only real option if you do not like the Henry. In the big bores, like 45-70 they are a little more than the Marlins which I prefer. None of them are cheap. It costs a chunk of money to grind down and fit all those moving parts on lever guns.

If you can have only one, the Golden Boy is a looker, I have one in 22 mag. When you pick up the Henrys and cycle the action you can feel a difference, they ares smooth. Probably does not matter practically or affect accuracy but you can tell the difference. Love all levers.
I have their 22lr classic models and love it. The Golden Boy's are nice looking, but I like the classic look. I will probably keep my eye open for a used Marlin 30-30. It's more of a sentimental thing.

But some of Henry's single shot rifles and shotguns have peaked my interest. But I read the trigger pull was awful on the single shots. But those were old reviews, they might be better now.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Still no 454:( I have been pestering them for a 454 big boy several times this past year and always get the same standard automatic reply. Who has Anthony's direct number!
454? They still make the Rossi in 454, I have one in stainless with the 20 inch barrel, they make a 16 inch. Handiest gun I own. They load both on the side and by the tube. In quality I rank it as good or better than any of my Marlins or Winchesters, I am a Marlin guy. The 454 will push 300 grain bullets as fast as my Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 and only weigh 5 pounds 8 ounces, the Marlins weigh 7 and the Henry closer to 8 pounds. The down side of the Rossi 92 is you have to remove the rear sight if you want to scope it. People say it kicks too much, LOL it does, so if I just want to shoot for fun, I use 45 Colt in it and only fire a few full 454 in it. If Henry was to make it in 454 it should be the all weather for folks up north as a year round gun.

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
well they are within 1-200 dollars of a Winchester 92 or 2-300 of the 94 now.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
454? They still make the Rossi in 454, I have one in stainless with the 20 inch barrel, they make a 16 inch. Handiest gun I own. They load both on the side and by the tube. In quality I rank it as good or better than any of my Marlins or Winchesters, I am a Marlin guy. The 454 will push 300 grain bullets as fast as my Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 and only weigh 5 pounds 8 ounces, the Marlins weigh 7 and the Henry closer to 8 pounds. The down side of the Rossi 92 is you have to remove the rear sight if you want to scope it. People say it kicks too much, LOL it does, so if I just want to shoot for fun, I use 4 Colt in it and only fire a few full 454 in it. If Henry was to make it in 454 it should be the all weather for folks up north as a year round gun.
I have looked at the Rossi for some time and have shot the 44 mag versions of that and the big boy. I like the feel and look of the Henry better. The one thing I remember about the Rossi is it didn't cradle so well on my small shoulder as well as the Henry did. Wouldn't say Rossi is out of the question, but I would rather have a Henry -- it's either that or shell out some big bucks for another custom rifle.

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
3,868 Posts
I have a Golden Boy also, I think I paid a little more than $400 back when I got it. It is ridiculously nice for that price point.

And as far as comparing a Rossi to a Henry? Not even close. IMO Henry is the best production rifle maker in America right now and 100 years from now if guns are still allowed, they are going to be your sought after classics.

Price wise, Henry sure does like their firearms.
I sit in the woods looking at my case-color Big Boy in .44 magnum and wonder how they are able to build something so beautiful in America for this little and still make a profit. I don't feel they are overpriced at all. They aren't cheap, but good stuff never is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts