Here's My SKS Sight In Group

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Joshua M. Smith, May 27, 2008.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith G&G Enthusiast

Hello,

Today I sighted in my SKS for Wolf hollowpoint in the black box. While some say it's not as good as the bullet used in the Military Classic, I am questioning this. According to the water jugs they perform admirably.

Anyway, this isn't a terminal ballistics test.

I needed to get sighted in at 50 to 100 yards. Going prone, I found that I needed to move the impact to the right and up some. That was strange as it shot differently while standing. I figure prone with the rifle resting on its forearm is the more stable of the two platforms, so that's what I used as my final sight in.

I'm not a fan of how far I had to drift the front sight, but it works.

[​IMG]
    This is what I came up with at 50 yards. There are extra holes on there because I ran out of repair stickers and this was my last target.

Shots were taken by taking a deep breath, then another, then another - then squeezing the round off after I'd exhaled the third breath.

As I said, ammo was Wolf 122gr HP in the black box. Not the most accurate, but I won't shoot US made ammo until I get a spring loaded firing pin, due to the softer primers.

I'm going to let this group stand as representative of what this carbine can do in my hands, unless I do something really spectacular that warrants posting.

Josh <><

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Looks good to me!!!!

3. That's not a bad grouping by any means. I know those Wolf HP's have a good expantion too, so if you're looking for home defence you're right on the money. Except the question of reliability. lol Good job and keep shootin!

4. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Not bad at all! Makes me want to get mine out....lol

5. Not a bad grouping by any means. But you completely missed the quarter. LOL J/K

6. SwedeSteve

JMS- As I said, looks good to me. I would advise anyone to get the modified firing pin and spring, wether you have positive engagement or not.

7. jack007

jack007 G&G Addict

8. seif5034

seif5034 G&G Newbie

9. Joshua M. Smith

Thanks.

I've got a peep sight on that sucker now, and was pulling in some pretty good sight-in groups yesterday, but I was hurried.

I'll have to go back out today and see what happens.

Josh <><

10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Good shooting.How far back are you putting the sandbags or whatever you are using?Also,are you using a stock rest? sam.

11. SwedeSteve

Hey, you might try sighting in at 20m. That should put you on the money out to about 200m or so.

12. Wildman

Wildman G&G Newbie

I've seen guys with scopes on deer rifles do much worse than that. Iron sights? Dude, your doing very good in my opinion.

13. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

Dang, but you're smart, Steve! I don't know why I didn't think of that old trick! I remember that as a "field expedient" method they taught us with the M-1 Carbine. Although most of us forgot it immediately, being zoomies who weren't going to touch a carbine again in our careers...

But I do remember them teaching us that for when we might have to pick up an unfamiliar weapon we didn't know was zeroed or not.

14. Joshua M. Smith

I'm just laying prone... no real support except for a log that I use to raise my supporting arm up a bit.

It's been storming all day so I wasn't able to try the peep sights. They're on well enough to make the kill zone on a coyote at 50 yards, but that's just not good enough.

Cabin fever folks, cabin fever...

Josh <><

15. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Try the good commercial ammo - my Yugo SKS loves Remington/UMC and Winchester FMJ - NEVER a double tap! Very tight shooting!
    You WILL be impressed. :)

16. Joshua M. Smith

Where do I sight in for a 100 yard zero?

Are there any ballistics tables specific to the Wolf 122gr hollowpoint? I'd like to see that trajectory.

I've tried using the ballistics calculator over at handloads.com but either it's off, or I have the ballistic coefficient wrong at .237...

Thanks,

Josh <><

Likely, but I simply don't have the money for a buck a pop, and I have 500 rounds of Wolf.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008