Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hex or Round receiver 91/30?
I went to a local shop and he just got in two 91/30. Both are in excellent shape. The hex is $115 and the round is $105. Is one better than the other? Is one more collectible than the other? I don't know much about these rifles so all input appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
183 Posts
For that price I would go for the Hex they are a little harder to come by than the round receiver. Plus the coolness factor of the hex is up there compared to the round.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Satified customer

Here are the picks of the 91/30 I bought. I bought it from AIMS Surplus. It has 1925r Stamped on it. Great rifling, good finish, and good stock. For $79.00 your not going to beat it. They said they had 120 more as of yesterday if anyone is interested. It comes with a bayonet,sling, and ammo pouch.:)

Attachments

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
He scores!!!! Congrats on the new rifle dude!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Also, when you disassemble it for cleaning, look on the underside of the rear tang for a receiver date.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to get back with you guys on your questions. I don't have it handy right now but I will get back with you. Living in a condo sucks!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Hex vs. Round? It don't matter, because I'm a Polygonist!

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
:196
Izhevsk.
nice rifle!:) i'm getting one as soon as the c&r arrives in the mail.
I love the hex .. I have a 1927 ex dragoon that i s really a gorgeous rifle ! :kiss: and yes I do kiss it!! no TEX just the rifle:196:

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Okay, humor an illiterate Mosinless member. What exactly is Hex or round? The receiver? If so where? Anyone have pictures of both so I could see the difference? Forgive my Mosin-ignorance. lol

NEVER MIND. I FIGURED IT OUT. YEA FOR ME. lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
Congrats on the new hex Mosin-Nagant! Just a little info on the difference between the hex and the round receivers for the 91/30. The hex is an older model Mosin, a Dragoon, made before the model 91/30, then converted from the Dragoon model to the 91/30 model. This conversion was a replacement of both front and rear sights and also the barrel bands. If you ever see an old Dragoon, or an older original M-91 you'll see the difference in the bands and sights. I'll post pictures of my old M-91 to try to show you, eventually. My first rifle that was bigger than a .22 was a hex receiver 91/30 that was made in 1928. I got it before anyone started selling them apart from each other and I just got it instead of a round one by pure luck. lol I still have it, and it's still my favorite! Never gonna let that little Russian get away...lol

This picture shows the difference in the rear sight, barrel band, and hand guard. Although this is NOT a Dragoon (the darker rifle of the two) it is an original M-91 which used the same type of bands and sights.

This picture gives a look at what the rear sight looks like on the pre 91/30 rifles. (This is also the M-91, NOT a Dragoon.) Hope the look into the difference is useful. lol

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Okay, humor an illiterate Mosinless member. What exactly is Hex or round? The receiver? If so where? Anyone have pictures of both so I could see the difference? Forgive my Mosin-ignorance. lol

NEVER MIND. I FIGURED IT OUT. YEA FOR ME. lol
Just in case someone else isn't able to figure it out like you did, here's a good reference: Mosin Nagant Rifle Feature Comparisons - Page 1

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Hex vs. Round? It don't matter, because I'm a Polygonist!
SWEDE! That is painful!:twak::09::09:

:196
I love the hex .. I have a 1927 ex dragoon that i s really a gorgeous rifle ! :kiss: and yes I do kiss it!! no TEX just the rifle:196:
Glad you clarified that, Marion.:09:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts