Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to get some hunting tips because we have heavy brush here and it's hard to get coyotes into the clear so you can shoot them! I conceal carry because I own a rental property and you really can't trust anybody now. Weighing 100 lbs is not a help. Ha ha

·
Premium Member
10,531 Posts
I understand perfectly. I used to have rental properties and many areas unsafe. We finally just got CCW here in Maryland. Its about time. Do you use an electronic call or a mechanical animal in distress. May need to use a call to get them Yotes to reveal themselves. Call and wait for a reply from them. We have plenty of Yotes on the property at work. I sometimes see them come out of the thick stuff into the grass fields.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
from the South primarily interested in concealed carry and predator hunting, specially coyotes.
Oakleaf,
You didn't mention what your prefered setup will be to hunt. One thing I've learned, a scope with a black reticle is invisible looking into dark shade. I have resorted to installing a 4-16X illuminated reticle scope on my .223 Rem bolt rifle. Made a huge difference for my old eyes. Also, have snake boots or equivalent. If feral hogs are in your area be careful, they have bad attitudes. Lastly, how are you around spiders, if you scream or do a extreme cardio routine after walking into a spider web... you're done hunting for the day, that's just an unspoken expectation. And, you don't shoot at spiders or a snake that might drop in you're boat (if you're in a boat). Hope this helps and made you smile.
Happy hunting and we are looking forward to seeing photos of you successes and the associated narratives.
Take care.
Wicked109 from SW Ohio

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I live in the country and my place is mostly cleared with some blackberry brush, but my neighbors' next door is a mess, nothing but privet and blackberries, and I'm pretty sure the coyotes and other varmints are in there about all the time. I am not very bothered by spiders or nonpoisonous snakes. I will kill poisonous snakes so they don't get me, family or animals. I have to be careful with what I shoot at because my neighbor behind has cows and horses and definitely don't want to hit them. I haven't but dad tried calling coyotes with a rabbit squealer and they didn't come even though we have tons of cottontails.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle, Ma'am.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
36,355 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York. We can always use another woman on the Forum to help keep things civil here.

There are plenty of coyote hunters here, although their hunting areas don't seem to match up as well as they might with your conditions. Still, I bet you'll find lots of common ground.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I live in the country and my place is mostly cleared with some blackberry brush, but my neighbors' next door is a mess, nothing but privet and blackberries, and I'm pretty sure the coyotes and other varmints are in there about all the time. I am not very bothered by spiders or nonpoisonous snakes. I will kill poisonous snakes so they don't get me, family or animals. I have to be careful with what I shoot at because my neighbor behind has cows and horses and definitely don't want to hit them. I haven't but dad tried calling coyotes with a rabbit squealer and they didn't come even though we have tons of cottontails.
I dunno. Accidents are accidents and them cows are pretty good eatin'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it's ok I'd rather not say my state name for privacy, but we were one of the states that seceded from the Union. We also have both mountains and a coastline, but it's not the same state as NCNascarlady.

My varmint gun is a .410 gauge Rossi shotgun. My other guns are all handguns primarily intended for self defense, but Dad has several rifles of various calibers I can borrow if needed. I thought of using my coronavirus stimulus check to buy a rifle but had to use it for unfun stuff like bills.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts