Gun and Game Forum banner

hi-point accuracy

Hi-Point 
7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Kentucky Fan 
#1 ·
up until sunday i had handled a few hi-points, but never fired one. my brother in law got one in .40sw, and asked me to try it out. set up at 25 yards and put two mags through it. i took my time with slow, aimed shots and was surprised at the result... it looked like i fired two rounds of buckshot at the target. the grouping was terrible. i didn't take the time to measure, but it was right around 10". thinking i was maybe having an off day, i took out my hi power and fired off a mag. my usual 3 1/2" -4" group greeted me upon my arrival at the target.

is 10" a normal grouping for a hi-point? if not, i'm thinking the ammo might have been an issue. all he sent with the pistol was half a box of blazer swc. i noticed the cases were bulged pretty bad, and most of them had thick black powder residue down one side almost to the rim. possibly they are a bit sloppy in the chamber. won't know til i get a box of something a little better and run it through. i had a glock that was doing the same, but that was with hot loads. a stiffer recoil spring solved the issue.

another question... are all the trigger pulls like closing a rusty gate? the poundage didn't seem bad. i've pulled more and got accurate results. it just felt a bit jerky, like it was dragging in a few spots along the pull.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not trying to be snotty or anything, but I don't think a Hi-Point was designed for target grade accuracy at extended ranges - honestly I think that is acceptable accuracy from a pistol that has more in common with my Wal-Mart food processor than a traditional pistol. Iffy triggers, poor finishes and hit-or-miss magazines are trademarks for a bottom rung pistol...

I still like Hi-Points tho :) and the Lifetime Warranty is great (even though the employees and reference material refer to the magazines as 'clips').

#3 ·
The only exposure I have to the Hi Point brand is their 9mm pistol which felt surprisingly good and shot even more surprisingly well. I was shooting at maybe 5 yards though which is hardly 25 yards. My personal impression including my use and what I hear about from others is that the 9s are not bad if you keep in mind that they are an ultra cheap 9mm. The 40s and 45s I haven't heard as much good talk about and have no personal experience with.

The Carbines seem to be pretty well received as well but again I have no personal hands-on time with them.

#5 ·
i'm not sure who gets broken in when shooting a High Point pistol, the gun or the shooter. My c.9 shoots surprisenly well at any real pistol ranges, am I hunting past 25 yes, probably not, but accuracy has never been an issue once I learned to.hold the two pound slide on target. The mags "usually" take some minipulation when new, but once that's been done, you shouldn't have any problems. I will say that the gun is super sensitive to limp writing, but the gun does weigh close to. Two pounds.. Keep practicing with it and you will start to appreciate the gun for what it is.

#6 ·
Well, to answer your question, no. That is highly unusual for a NIB Hi-Point. They have fixed barrels that are fused to their frames. This should (and usually) makes them some of the most accurate pistols, period. My Hi-Point C9, at 20 yards, is at accurate as my Beretta U22 NEOS, Glock 22, Glock 23, Taurus 627 Tracker, etc.

There are a few reasons you could be having accuracy problems...

1. In my personal experience, the Hi-Point pistols kick about as hard as other pistols higher up in the caliber chart, i.e. My C9 9x19mm Parabellum pistol had as much, if not more recoil then my Glock 22 .40 S&W pistol. This caused excessive flinching, until I was able to adapt to it. This caused pretty bad accuracy from the start.

2. Bad ammunition. As we all know, bulk ammo isn't that accurate to begin with, however, I doubt it would be that inaccurate.

3. Hi-Points DO NOT have crowned barrels, strictly as a cost cutting measure. This basically means that you have to be careful handling & cleaning them, because if you ding, scratch, or otherwise damage the rifling at the end of the barrel, you will severely distort your firearms accuracy. As far as that goes, the only option is to have Hi-Point fix or replace the firearm, or find a smith who will crown the barrel for you.

I would have to guess your problems with accuracy was any combination of the three. I doubt it is a problem with the sights not being adjusted properly, because you should still have nice groups at that distance. Anyways, I hope that helps you out. Just call Hi-Point up and they'll get right on to solving your problem. They have the best customer service of ANY firearms company I have had to deal with, PERIOD. :)

Reactions: MoDoc
#7 · (Edited)
3. Hi-Points DO NOT have crowned barrels, strictly as a cost cutting measure. This basically means that you have to be careful handling & cleaning them, because if you ding, scratch, or otherwise damage the rifling at the end of the barrel, you will severely distort your firearms accuracy. As far as that goes, the only option is to have Hi-Point fix or replace the firearm, or find a smith who will crown the barrel for you.
haven't had a chance to check this thread since i started it. thank you for the input.

called my brother in law and told him the results. he said he had similar results and that's why he wanted me to check it out. (18 inch group at 20 yards) i figured screw it, i'm going to clean it up and send it back to him so he can decide what he wants to do with it.

i pulled the slide off and commenced cleaning, and noticed the end of the barrel... not only was it not crowned, it looked pretty buggered up. i'm not sure, but they either broach the rifling in, or use the button technique. it looked like they dragged the button through and left a burr on the end of the barrel. there was a small, uneven lip at the mouth, and a tit at the end of each rifle land. (each a different length, varying from a few thousandths to about .010) that was more than enough to make even good ammo fly all over the place.

i filed the end flat, then cut in a small crown. (about .015 at a 45 degree) 25 rounds of federal premium 180gr all fit into a nice 5" group at 25 yards. i was quite pleased to see it, and my brother in law was very happy to hear it.

my opinion of hi-point pistols (at least this particular one) is now set. good pistol, good value.

Reactions: MoDoc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.