Gun and Game Forum banner

Hi-Point C9

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MoDoc 
#1 ·
I've never really seen the use for the H-P C9 with it's single stack mag & clunky balance, but I bought one new this week as I've had no problems with my H-P carbines or the JHP pistol, and I guess I'm just kinda weird.
My Ruger P-95 cost about twice as much, has been reliable, is comfortable, holds more rounds, and I shoot well with it. My Kel-Tec P-11 is smaller, holds as many rounds, and is proven. I've got a Glock 17 that has served me well for 15 years. The C-9 had mixed reviews, so I just wanted to see for myself.
Today I ran a bore snake through the barrel and loaded up my two 8 rounds mags, as well as the 10 rounder I ordered from the factory. I fired 168 rounds without any kind of fail. [ except for my thumbs ] I used 115 g. loads of FMJ from Winchester [WB bulk], Federal, Tula steel case, Perfecta, and Herter's brass. I also fired 26 rounds of ZQ1 123 g. NATO FMJ [good stuff!]. The C-9 was accurate- I may need to adjust the sights a bit, as I grouped most shots slightly left, but I was mostly function testing it this time. Anyhow, from 7 yards it was doing very well, and I enjoyed shooting it. Next time will be vs. plastic bottles floating by in a creek at 12 yards, so I'll have an idea of how well it handles then. will update this when that occurs.

#3 ·
@Habakkuk21: I honestly didn't really even notice it as any kind of issue, so don't know what to say. I've been tainted by extensive use of a Kel-Tec P-11, which probably has the worst DAO trigger I've ever felt. [ well, a S&W Sigma came close]. The C-9 had a fairly long pull, then a sudden break, but it seemed fairly light to my meathooks. I've got a nicely broken-in S&W 686 + that takes me a few shots to get used to when using it in DA mode, but since I've only now really thought about the C-9's SA trigger, I'd say it was ok.

#6 ·
Gave it another workout today vs. several squads of aluminum can @ 10 yards. I sort of cheated by using my jeep's door to steady my aim and did remarkably well on those supported shots. 104 rounds fired today - all Herter's brass 115 fmj, no fails of any kind & I paid special attention to the trigger feel due to my friend Habbakkuk's question. It is a little "crunchy" right before it breaks, but it felt good to me & my supported shots were mostly dead-on. I fired roughly half of the rounds free standing, using both one & two-handed grips about as fast as I could pull the trigger against a pair of water- filled 1 liter plastic bottles & scored quite a few hits against those dancing, twirling jugs. The sights on the C9 are a bit small, but I tend to "point shoot" anyhow when shooting fast paced against targets that keep moving. I like this silly thing.

#7 ·
Since all subsequent posts have gone missing, I'll summarize my 2 year experience with the C-9 here.
I've shot it a bunch, and I mean a LOT. When I bought it, I intended to find it's flaws, and I've done so.
On the plus side, it's been accurate & reliable for me - as in it's never had a jam or malfunction while shooting, and I can empty the 8 or 10 round magazines into a target at high speed. I actually enjoy using it, and find it pretty comfortable to shoot.
The downside is that both of my 10 round mags, as well as a couple of my 8 round mags, don't automatically feed the top round when inserting a fresh magazine. I consistently have to push the slide forward to pick up the topmost round - which tends to nosedive a bit in the magazine, no matter how carefully I've loaded it. That's the only negative thing I've got to say about the C-9 after a couple of years of very heavy use.
I've got High Point carbines in both 9mm and .45 acp, and have never had any problems with them or their magazines - some of my 9mm magazines are 20 + years old. Something about the C-9 magazine is just not right, but can be quickly overcome by learning to push the slide forward a bit on fresh magazines to get the top round to chamber.

Reactions: Jaison
#8 ·
Just had to chime in again - I have a polymer target ball I can shoot at if the ground conditions are appropriate for it to move along after being hit, and the silly C-9 did well against it. I started with a Tri-Star T-120, which kept the ball moving along, and went through several mags in it [I had a double mag pouch on my left hip, behind the holstered C-9], advancing forward as I fired. The C-9 was in my left hip holster, and I grabbed it after emptying my third TriStar mag, and kept advancing and firing on the polymer ball. I kept right on hitting it and moving it forward, just slowing because I had the spare C-9 mags in my hip pocket, and I had to push the slide forward on reloads. The C-9 is accurate, but slows a fellow down in the reload cycle. All of the ammo was ZQ1 9mm NATO.

Reactions: Jaison
#9 · (Edited)
I had one of the original hi point c9's bought for $75 bucks at a gun expo new the very first year they came out. You could get a 9mm or a 45acp full size, only in black( this was a long long time ago)sat by my bed loaded for years . Would always have feeding problems. Finally, sent it back to high point, they polished the ramp and gave me 2 new mags.
Never once had a problem after that.
Used it to practice for my concealed carry.Very accurate.Once I got my ccp I sold it to a buddy, to get his with, for $100. Miss it. It brought me to the dance ..as far as pistols go. Trying to buy it back for $140 but he wont budge. :(

#10 ·
My only Hi-Point is a 4595 carbine and it has performed flawlessly. I have a little red dot optic on it and I can pretty much chew the middle out of a target at 25-30 yards which for me and 45 acp isn't bad. I have about 10 magazines and for a SHTF gun I think it would be just fine. (along side my RRA AR15 and Sig P320RX)

#11 · (Edited)
Had a 4595 carbine.Great gun for fun and home defence.Just don't expect it to take out a deer at 75 yards.I tried that this past season and it wounded it but not good enough. My lil' cousin got a kill shot with a 410 at 50 yards on the same deer about 1 hr later. How do I know??? My plastic filled hornandy hollow point 45acp round was stuck (right where I left it)between its ribs, in the kill zone, when we skinned her out.

#12 ·
I had a JC40 and three magazines. For whatever reason, one of the magazines would only take 7 rds. instead of the specified 8. Dad and I had to play with the lips on one of the others to get it to feed well but I never had the issue that MoDoc mentioned with feeding the first round. I did have to adjust the sights out of the box. I sold it about a year ago to a young fellow who found himself working a little too close for comfort to one of our East Coast race riots. I followed up with him back in April and he has been well pleased with the pistol.

#14 ·
I've continued shooting the C9 at almost every opportunity. Mostly, like today, just a quick 3-4 mag dump with different ammo loadings in each magazine when I'm wrapping up a more serious practice session with other pistols. It finally gave me some guff today. After all those rounds through it over the last several years doing no cleaning other than wiping down the feed ramp, putting a bore snake through the barrel, and an occasional bit of oil, it started going slo-mo into battery. I took it apart and gave it a real cleaning this afternoon. It was filthy. Not as hard to disassemble as I remembered the JHP being. The slide certainly feels better now. I'll continue to use it mostly for plinking, but am going to treat it a little better from here on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.