Gun and Game Forum banner

Hi-Point Carbines.

Hi-Point 
4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Cyrano 
#1 ·
Got a few duckets to spend. roughly 250 of them and have all the guns that i "need" Just wantin something fun and cheap.

Are the carbines at all accurate? Or how accurate are they/ and to what range???

#3 · (Edited)
Well, when I first bought my 4095 .40 carbine, I took it to an indoor range with two boxes of ammo. Took the carbine out of the box, put 50 rounds through each of two targets. No sight adjustments, no optics, no red dots, just right out of the box and loaded it up.

First target. The bull **** range officer was breathing down my neck, waiting for the evil Hi Point to blow up, and she made me nervous.

Second target....after I put a piece of masking tape on the black front sight blade so I could see it against the black target. Bull **** got bored and left me alone too.

And that's all I have to say about that!

#4 ·
From talk at a range in town the 9mm is reliable and accurate, the 40S&W and 45 Auto less so. My only exposure to HiPoint firearms is their pistols which I admit won't win any beauty pageants... but it was surprisingly comfortable to hold, went bang every time we pulled the trigger with no FTE/FTFs and ate the cheapest dirtiest ammo its owner fed it. I don't know if it has ever been cleaned but it has yet to fail or even complain. Given that I would have no quarrels with a HiPoint carbine in 9mm.

However if you want my personal $0.02, I would tuck those bucks away and save a little more in favor of a KelTec Sub 2000. The reason for me is the magazines, the KelTec accepts standard Glock 17/19 (Gen3, not sure about Gen4) magazines so you have a source of reasonably priced, quality, "high" capacity magazines. The Sub 2000 runs around $400 the last time I saw one, finding one in stock will probably be the hard part.

#5 · (Edited)
Arctic family's HP 995

Arctic 995

I'd paid almost $300 for a Pump .22mag carbine.

For what it costs and how it performes, its one the better less known values out there.
Our family has had our 995 carbine for a few years, we changed the factory stock because of the freakishly small trigger guard to the ATI replacement stock, my oldest daughter loves it, the coldest wx weve shot it was a day outing at -27F.

Im amazed at the range (distance) we can shoot it can shredd a coffee can at 234paces offhand, the guy with the aimpoint sighted SKS that was competeing with my 14yro girl never touched it, made me think that for the price we pay for ammo the 7.62x39 (20round box) and 9mm (50 round box) the 9mm carbine is way cheaper to shoot than a SKS.

the 995 so far, reliably feeds Gold dot ammo, trunucated cone hp, fmj, Lrn without a hitch.

I was given my 995 as it was blown up, the fellow that bought it had it shot some questionable reloads out of it and pitched it minus the mags, the round had blown the case head off and bulged the chamber, tearing off the extractor claw, HP has a unlimited lifetime warranty on their products.for the cost of third class postage it cost me $14.73! The 995 was returned via UPS in a new box with 2 mags, sling,scope mount and sling swivels and manual (i sent in just the weapon only)
Hi-Point service says they have no problems with repairs, when I called I said mine was picked from garbage HP service tech said no problem send it in, I said Im not the original buyer HP service tech said no problem, I said it was blown up from hot reloaded ammo, HP service tech said no problem sent it to them, the helpfull lady said they had melted/burnt guns sent in from a house fire and Hy-Point replaced them :D!:yup:

Attachments

#6 ·
First, I like how rondog called the range "officer" a bull ****. :jester:

Second, I have the 995C (Classic = Pre-TS stock) and it's accurate as hell. That has a lot to do with the fixed barrel and blow-back action. My Dad has a 995TS and it has snappier recoil, but is just as accurate nonetheless. Very reliable and very serviceable as far as a carbine is concerned. They are the best bang for the buck, as far as pistol caliber carbines are concerned, unless you want tactical, then go for the Kel Tec SUB2000, assuming you can even find one.

#8 ·
I've wanted one for awhile now, but I hate the tacticool stocks the 995s come with now. If I get one, my first move will be to drop it into one of the ATI "Beretta Storm" stocks.

#9 ·
I bought a 995TS early this year at a gun show, and I couldn't be happier. I've had good luck with ProMag 15-round mags (previously-generation carbines didn't like them) and put a PFI red dot scope on it too, even though the factory sights work great.

The most important thing so far is that my burning desire for a more expensive "tactical" rifle is under control for the moment, and since most of my handguns are 9mm, I can share ammo.

#11 ·
I've wanted one for awhile now, but I hate the tacticool stocks the 995s come with now. If I get one, my first move will be to drop it into one of the ATI "Beretta Storm" stocks.
I did exactly that with my 995C, and let me tell you, I regret doing it. I switched it back out when I realized that the old style trigger was too thin to reach properly (at least with my fingers), and the mag release was pushing up against my index, since I'm a lefty and all. The stock didn't even fit the first time! I spent over 90 minutes with a metal file gently scrapping and re-sizing it until it fit. The mags then had a hard time seating.

It might be different with a 995TS, but if you but an original and switch it out for an ATI, I'd be careful. For me, it was a waste of a good $60.00 USD.

#14 ·
Try and get some Promag 15 rounders. I have 4 for my 995 and they work flawlessly. I have never had a single failure do to the Promags.
that's good to know that the 15 rounder function well. Promag quality control isn't very good from what I've seen. Some of their mags work great, some are total junk. My 40 round SKS mag from them has worked well though. If I ever have an extra $200-250 I just wanna blow I may have to get me a 995. They sure are a lot of fun to shoot

#15 ·
Man, I love the Hi-Point carbines, and they have the best warranty anywhere. A buddy of mine found a broken one in a demolished building. He called the company to see if they had parts so he could fix it up as a project. They had him send it in, knowing the full story, and they rebuilt the gun for free.

#17 ·
I am really cheesed off that the Lesser Satan's UnSAFE Act has declared the Hi-Point carbines "assault rifles" because they use detachable magazines through their pistol grip. Now, one of the most practical and versatile little guns out there has been criminalized in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York.

We have GOT to get that stinking law repealed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.