Gun and Game Forum banner
141 - 160 of 189 Posts
I shot one of the .40 carbines today and i really liked it. its accurate and reliable.

I want to get a 9mm carbine (995TS).
A little off topic here but whats the consensus on using one for a SHTF weapon?
I like the fact that id have ammo compatibility with my handgun (9mm also), but im wondering how practical it would really be.

I shot one of the .40 carbines today and i really liked it. its accurate and reliable.

A little off topic here but whats the consensus on using one for a SHTF weapon?
I like the fact that id have ammo compatibility with my handgun (9mm also), but im wondering how practical it would really be.

in a shtf situation any gun is better than no gun. mine is acurate and reliable so oo me i wouldn's hesitate grabbing it on the go.

Your thinking about compatible ammo is a good one; that idea worked well for the cowboys of the wild west. Not having to inventory alot of different ammo is a good thing.

i have owned a hp45
it was ugly, heavy and would hit what i was aiming at. but you get what you pay for i've heard that you can shoot like 5,000 rounds out of them before cleaning. and there coustmer service is great there made in OHIO.

I used to look down on them too until my son bought one ( the .380 ) for his girlfriend to shoot when we go to the range and I was shocked. I expected it to have problems but it didn't. And it was remarkably accurate. It isn't the prettiest thing but it went bang every time, and it hit where it was pointed. Plus it has a lifetime warranty that is transferrable to the second or third owner. I'm not saying I'm gonna rush out and buy one, but I was surprised if not impressed. I'm definately considering the carbine for something different.

Yet the cheapo .45 I got once gave me NOTHING but problems. It and a Raven .25 ACP were the two absolute worst gun purchases I ever made.

Though what did I expect, since I didn't pay more than 50 bucks for either of them.

Magazine adjustment for C9 - 8 round magazine

the only problems with highpoint are sometimes the mags don't work like they should when that happens just get a box of ammo and some plyers and go to the range and tweak the lips on the mag after you got them just right you shouldn't have any problems with feeding problems . i bought a few mags i think 7 to be exact and just one gave me problems after tuning it up it's workin just fine. alot of people don't wanna mess with the mags or they just don't have the brains to do so so they just blame the gun and call it a junk gun but highpoint is far from being a junk gun.

Yet the cheapo .45 I got once gave me NOTHING but problems. It and a Raven .25 ACP were the two absolute worst gun purchases I ever made.

Though what did I expect, since I didn't pay more than 50 bucks for either of them.
I had a Raven .25 that was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. I swear you could actually see the bullet come out sideways.

A little off topic here but what's the consensus on using one for a SHTF weapon?

I like the fact that I'd have ammo compatibility with my handgun (9mm also), but I'm wondering how practical it would really be.
As noted, in the Old West the manufactures produced their longarms and pistols in the same calibers for just that reason. I'm told some Cowboy Action shooters buy their replica Peacemakers and replica Winchesters in identical calibers, usually .38 Special or .45 Long Colt, for that reason too. .45 ACP is the round of choice for the new Roaring '20s Action Shooting I've been hearing about. The pistols of choice seem to be M1911s, and the longarms Auto-Ordnance's semi-auto-only Thompsons. Not having to worry about which round goes in which gun is a load off your mind.

Personally, I like the idea of compatible ammo for SHTF defensive weapons quite a lot. Operationally, however, you only have two choices in the 'universal cartridges': 9x19 mm Parabellum; and .45 ACP. Of the two, much as it hurts to say it, 9mm is the better choice.

Don't get me wrong. I much prefer the .45 ACP to 9mm Luger. It hits harder and makes bigger holes. It's been battle-proven in every war and brushfire conflict the United States has been in since 1917. You shoot someone with it and if you hit them in the head or the chest, they go down and stay down. However, the deciding factor in this race is weapons choice.

On the pistol side, it's a wash. Everyone and their uncle makes pistols in both calibers. In the case of the .45 ACP, you can even obtain .45 ACP revolvers, notably the S&W Model 25, the 1917 'substitute standard' US military revolvers by Colt and S&W in both original and Classic models, and the 'shaved' Mark VI Webley modified to take .45 ACP instead of .455 British. You can't say that about the 9mm Luger cartridge.

But when you come to longarms, the 9x19 pulls ahead and stays there.

On the .45 ACP side, you have the Hi-Point Model 4595 (if you can find one), the Auto-Ordnance semi-auto-only Thompsons, their semi-auto-only M3 Grease Gun, the absurd-looking and not very good shooting Cobray M-11, and not much else. None of these except the Model 4595 can really be accessorized to suit your needs.

Just going off the top of my head here, on the 9mm side you have the Hi-Point Model 995, the Beretta CX-4 Storm, the HK-94 (the semi-auto-only civilianized version of the MP-5 for the US market, a very elegant gun; I wish I could afford one because it's essentially a 9mm CETME), a couple of Kel-tecs, a Cobray long-barreled semi-auto version of the old M-10, and the Sterling semi-auto carbine. Of these, the Hi-Point, the Beretta and the HK can be customized with off the shelf aftermarket accessories.

For that reason, I'd have to say that going with a 9mm carbine and a 9mm pistol, provided both will reliably shoot hollowpoints, is an option to consider for SHTF; perhaps even a good option. Choose whatever 9mm pistol you prefer. For the carbine, I'd go with the Model 995. They are simple, utterly reliable and affordable; a Model 995 will cost you less than your 9mm sidearm! Gun Tests gave the Hi-Point Model 995 and Model 4095 carbines their highest grade when it tested them. The verdict boiled down to, "They're ugly as sin but they always work, they shoot accurately, and you can't hardly break them." Those are virtues in a survival gun.

Just bear in mind that a pistol cartridge isn't a rifle cartridge, or even an intermediate-power assault rifle cartridge. 100 yards is going to be a reach for you for a one-shot kill, even if you scope the carbine. In practice, 50 yards will be your effective range. Can you live with this fact, or not?

In the end, that may be the deciding factor on whether you go with a one cartridge solution for your sidearm and your longarm for SHTF use. You'll have to decide this one for yourself.

^^^^^What he said^^^^^^
I have the Hi-point 995 and I have had near zero issues with it.
I bought it from a friend who wanted the $ to fund another project and he's tried a couple of times to buy it back.
I finally got around to getting a 9mm pistol to go with it,I went with a Ruger P95 instead of a Hi-point 'cause it was Priced right and had good reviews.
Would I have gotten a Hi-point pistol?
Yes,I would have no problen buying one but nobody in a 60 mile radius stocks them new.(according to the website)
Besides, the P95 is big and bulky too (but better looking) and so far as reliable as the 995.

I have the c9 and love it. It was the first handgun I ever bought.

For the people who think they are ugly, I think the Hi-points look like they mean business only, nothing fancy just there to fire. I had feed issues for the first 200rds in my c9 then I got the 10rd magazine from the gun store and all the feed problems disappeared. I love the gun and shoot it almost every weekend.

I really want to get a compensated 9mm but the stopped producing them. Although the gun shop I buy from called Hi-point for me and he said they are re-designing the c9 and c9 comp to have the picatinny rail in front of the trigger guard and make them look a little better. I already told him when he can order the new c9comp order me one and Ill be the first in line to get one.

I painted my C9 slide and grips OD green...Looks good here is a picture.

Attachments

I have a Gen.1 995 carbine. I'm the third owner. When I got it, it was in pretty bad shape, jammed/stove-piped every 2nd-3rd shot. I called Hi-Point, told them the parts I needed, 2 days later I had em', for free! Completely overhauled it, did a shine job on the feed ramp and mag lips. I now have thousands of rds. down the pipe with no problems, didn't cost me a thing. I've since put a red dot scope on it and roll my own 9mm 147gr XTP butt kickers, it's pretty accurate at 100yds, it downright drives nails at 50yds. Nothing wrong with a cheap gun if you know how to give it a little TLC. No firearms company can compete with HP's no-questions asked warranty. Haven't shot their pistols, but I'd buy one, nothing to lose really, if something goes wrong with it they'll fix it or send you a new one, every time.

i live next to a landfill and one year my son and i was walking throuhg it and he showed me a chunk of metal that was attached to a barrel the plastic was all melted and you really couldn't tell it was a gun unless you seen the barrel .well i told him to leave it and we did we left it there rof a few more days in the rain and mud then i dicided to go get it and try to see if something could be done with it. i found out it was a highpoint and called them . all i was trying to ask the guy was if he could give me a list of parts so i could try to fix this piece of crap .. the guy said for me to ship it to them and they would see what they could do. within 3 weeks they sent me what they said was the gun i sent them but this thing looked new they went through every part of the gun and replaced it . personally i think they just sent me a new gun because there is noway they could have made a new gun from the thing i sent them. after that i was a dedicated highpoint man . anyone who will take back a gun and not ask what happened or where i found it and just fix it or replace it and send it back in a new box with 2 new mags and sling .well there is nuthing else i can say other than they rock big time.

I have limited experience with a High Point 9mm pistol, a neighbor brought one by the house for me to try out. I fed 3 mags of cast lead bullets and some FMJ through it without any jams. It seems to be an inexpensive reliable pistol for folks on tight budgets.

I have heard mixed opinions about hi point guns. Does anyone know if they are good or bad. They sure are cheap
Hi points Are OK guns. You get what you pay for. They work and they work well. They are safe and have a great warranty. They make a good night stand gun. When it comes to a inexpensive gun, Hi Point are the best. But there are allot of better guns if you have $500.00 to spend. (GLOCK)

141 - 160 of 189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.