Gun and Game Forum banner

hi point hand guns?

Hi-Point 
16K views 72 replies 36 participants last post by  fuzzy 
#1 ·
im going to be applying for my handgun permit and was planning on a getting a few highpoints. just wondering if any one had any input. im also debating on getting a 40sw and getting a custum barrel rechamberd in 7.62x25

#3 ·
Hi Points are good, reliable shooters, accurate enough for target and plinking use, good for toolboxes, tackle boxes, night stands, etc. But not generally considered a "carry gun" because they're large, bulky and heavy. And UGLY!

You'll get opinions from both camps shortly, those that love them and those that despise them. Nothing gets the gun snobs riled up more than the words "Hi Point".

They're affordable, American-made guns with a superb warranty that fill a niche for people that want/need a gun, but not necessarily an expensive, high-quality one. They're guns that'll do what guns are made to do. But the snobs just can't stand them, and wouldn't use one to cover up a dog turd. Then there's those of us who know better......

#4 ·
I would doubt if the magazine and chamber are long enough for a 7.62x25. If you want to shoot the 7.62x25 get a T33 clone or cz52. The t33 guns are available for 200 dollars and shipping and transfer. They are amazing to shoot.

#5 ·
I put 3 magazines of mixed ammo through one, it fed everything and didn't jam once.
It was a limited test, but it wasn't mine and I didn't want to shoot it much.
It won't win any prizes for pretty, it's ergonomics are not the best for my hand,
but it functions and may be a good choice for folks on a tight budget.

#6 ·
honestly, the 7.62x25 may be too hot for it.

Keep 'em as is, that way you don't loose the warranty via modification...

Tough guns, you can toss 'em in a glovebox/truck box/tackle box/tool box and forget 'em for months on end...

They've been torture tested to extremes...and passed.

But, eventually, you will want something with more power...that's what the Glock 20 (10mm) is for ;)

And remember to vote out the Dems next election, only vote in Reps that will swear to repeal NY's anti-gun laws!!

#7 ·
Save and get something of better quality.

If it's for personal protection, just remember, if the gun only costs say $200-$300 bucks, if that's all your life or the life of someone you care about or love is worth to you, then by all means, save the money and get a Hi-Point.

Just my two cents.

#10 ·
I would buy an RIA before I'd ever touch a Hi-Point, that being said, you've just talked about spending more than the cost of 10 Hi-Points to get a Tokarev barrel. Why would you do that? Buy an actual quality firearm, like a SIG and then pick up a TT and you'll be saving money.

#11 ·
not all of us can afford a 500 dollar pistol and if i was going to save up that much i keep going and buy an h&k usp but im not so im going to settle for something that works thats cheap , my apartment is small so if i was going to get a home defense gun it would be a 22 anything else is for plinking an hunting. and i do plan on getting one in 45 and im assuming that the grips are a lil smaller and would fit my hand pefect.

#13 ·
not all of us can afford a 500 dollar pistol and if i was going to save up that much i keep going and buy an h&k usp but im not so im going to settle for something that works thats cheap , my apartment is small so if i was going to get a home defense gun it would be a 22 anything else is for plinking an hunting. and i do plan on getting one in 45 and im assuming that the grips are a lil smaller and would fit my hand pefect.
And paying for a custom barrel will run you $1000+. Rock Islands can be had <$400 and are a thousand times higher quality than a Hi Point.

#16 ·
And paying for a custom barrel will run you $1000+. Rock Islands can be had <$400 and are a thousand times higher quality than a Hi Point.
re4chambering was just a thought hi points run form 150 to 200 dont need to spend any more then that. im not looking for something pretty just something cheap and if i can get to for the price of "better" gun then i will. i like variety and quantity of firearms

#18 ·
I have a one in .40. Bought it the saturday after I turned 21, instead of getting trashed like most people. So after 4 and half years, I've only had a few hiccups. One of the lips was bend on the mag, causing it not to feed aluminum cased Blazer's, but feed brass. Bent it out. I had one other fail to feed, and is simply because the ramp was dirty from never being cleaned after about 400 rounds. Yes they are ugly and heavy. Definitely not a CCW. But mine stays next to the bed to protect myself and my wife. So yes, I trust my families life on it.

Also, you should check out Iraqveteran8888's torture series of a 995 on youtube just to see what it takes to destroy one.

#20 ·
no i wont i like quanity and durability so you guys are out if i buy a cheaper gun then i can afford more ammunition. i make 8 bucks an hour so every penny helps

#22 ·
Honestly, there is nothing that can touch a Hi-Points price point. Given that the design and manufacture of the gun was for a specific price point, you will get what you pay for. You may need to pay extra attention to loading the magazines correctly and using domestic brass cased ammo until it gets broken in and proves reliability.

#23 ·
You would be more well suited in that price point to get an old Tokarev or TT clone and a spare 9MM Barrel and Bushing from Sarco, that gun would be safe and strong as hell (as well as being in your price range). I used to be quite a proponent of HiPoints, you may see my old posts on this site. I had a C9 blow up in my face with WWB 9MM. I now STRONGLY advocate staying the hell away from them. As far as possible, whenever I see someone shooting one on the range I move downrange after I had the kB with mine.

#24 ·
You already have guns. Buy a quality gun that isn't made out of Zamak. Save up for it. I bought my first 20 guns on $8 an hour. Don't fall for the instant gratification trap because of the low cost. Used and abused Glocks are still 10,000 times the quality of the BEST HiPoint.

#25 ·
Honestly, there is nothing that can touch a Hi-Points price point. Given that the design and manufacture of the gun was for a specific price point, you will get what you pay for. You may need to pay extra attention to loading the magazines correctly and using domestic brass cased ammo until it gets broken in and proves reliability.
this is the kind of input im looking for becuase i am gettin a high point i just want to learn about the small issues they have once in a while, thanks lightwieght

#26 ·
I have a 45acp hi-point. If you have large hands it will fit like a glove. I don't but I still love to shoot it, out of the box, brand new, I have never had a failure to feed or any other problems, although I have only shot about 300 rounds through it. But it is almost ready for its first cleaning (according to the instruction manual that came with it). I also owned a 995 but I had to trade it after my riding mower blew up. But I do plan on getting the carbine in 45acp this year. The pistols are bulky yes, but they shoot straight. Rechambering it would be prohibitivly (a george bush word) expensive. If your going to buy one buy a 9mm and leave it alone, although I do love the 45acp for its stopping power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.