close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hi-Power barrel

Discussion in 'FN Hi-power/Inglis' started by azgunnut01, Dec 24, 2010.

1. azgunnut01

azgunnut01 G&G Addict

I am not by any means an expert on FN Hi-Powers, but as I was sitting in my living room fondling my gun I noticed that the barrel appears to have a small crack all the was around the barrel just forward of the locking lug (see picture). The crack is tiny and I wasn't even sure if it was a crack or a mark on the barrel, however, I tried polishing it with my dremel and it appears to be a crack. Is this normal or is my worst fear realized that the barrel should be replaced? I own many pistols and have never seen this kind of crack on a barrel. The crack is so straight it appeared at first as if it was two pieces. It is so small I can't get a picture.

Attached Files:

2. You most likely gotta two piece barrel. If you keep picking at it it will never heal. unless it is actually a crack, (i've never heard of this happening). Its Normal. If your really woried about it take it to another Highpower owner with some experance with them. Both of mine have 2 piece barrels. I'm sure some one will come along soon enough with a lil history about this. Easy way to tell does it go all the way around the barrel, or are the two parts diffrent colors?

With out see'n it thoguh I couldn't confirm this (just coving my ***).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

3. azgunnut01

azgunnut01 G&G Addict

It appears to go all the way around except I can't see it on the locking lug(??). It sure looks like it is straight like machining to me, but I am not positive. I don't see any difference in the color of the two pieces. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    rest easy, its a 2 piece barrel.

6. azgunnut01

azgunnut01 G&G Addict

That barrel on the top picture is exactly as mine looks (except not that pronounced). Thanks, I feel better.

7. Nice link Moose! I have had 3 high powers in my short time and one of them was a military turnin with what must have been thousands of rounds through it. The barrel was a two piece style and I can't imagine FN letting something like that happen. Good shooting with a fine weapon!

8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Cripes, I get home from vacation here now I'm going to have to check my Hi-Power barrel just to see which kind I have.