Hi Power "buffer", yes or no?

Discussion in 'FN Hi-power/Inglis' started by ROTORCRAFT, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ROTORCRAFT

ROTORCRAFT G&G Regular

Hello guys, I´d like to hear some opinions on this particular subject.
    I own a very nice Argentinian "Hi Power" 9mm, and I´d like to preserve it from excessive wearing...
    I´ve read that the use of a buffer is a good way to do it, but on the other hand, I´m wondering what about the "space" that the buffer takes inside the slide, could it produce any damage?
    What do you think about the whole "issue"?
    Thanks in advance !!!
    [​IMG]

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

One thing I've noticed about aftermarket recoil buffers:

1) I don't know of any pistol manufacturer from the cheapest brand to the most expensive one who has seen fit to incorporate these "recoil buffers" in their design.

It might just be a solution looking for a problem from my perspective.... Consider also some of them have lifetime warranties and absorb that ongoing expense in lieu of adopting the recoil buffer in their design, and if there really was a significant disadvantage from premature wear stand point all manufacturers would absorb the negative press that the premature wear would spawn.

just my 2 cents

3. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Enthusiast

When not if they fall apart they jam up the action giving you a 2 lb club. It's one thing to have this happen at the range another in the dark of night.

4. Magius

Magius G&G Addict

Buffers were both incorporated and necessary in the Star PD. Otherwise I agree with all of the above.

5. ROTORCRAFT

ROTORCRAFT G&G Regular

Interesting, I didn´t know it...
    What´s the active service pistol of the Star PD?

6. Magius

Magius G&G Addict

The Model PD was made by Star Bonifacio Echeverria during the 1970's and 80's. It was one of (and IIRC the) first lightweight compact.45 ACP. It was built on an aluminum alloy frame.
    It was similar in appearance to the 1911, but different internally. The styling and light weight made it popular as a CCW and backup gun.
    However, since the alloy technology of the era was not on par with today's the frame was prone to cracking. A recoil buffer was incorporated to reduce wear on the frame. Failing to use one will result in greater wear and a short service life.

7. ROTORCRAFT

ROTORCRAFT G&G Regular

Thank you Magius, I thought you were talking about the Star City Police Department...

8. DanM1

DanM1 G&G Newbie

I use a buffer in my 1911, and it seems to be a good thing. The buffer does take up some space, and you may find that you can't drop the slide on a new mag by just pulling it back and letting go. On my 1911, I always used the slide stop to close the slide on a new mag. Never noticed that pulling the slide would not close it until a friend tried it that way and it wouldn't go. Not a problem for me as I only use the stop lever for the job, but others may not like it....DanM