Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9C99C090-9C16-497D-A36A-2EE0EFFAE7A4.jpeg
My son found this old hand gun in a river. I’ve been looking online for some info but can’t find anything about it as can’t locate i’d marks ect it was a big lump of metal/mud when it came out the water but since then it has cleaned up ok ish but has major parts missing so I know it was safe! Any info is appreciated.

87BF5062-6CDF-4244-A242-939D624A5DEF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
SJ&D revolver? Some of the lines are different from the below pic, but I think that's the maker based on the unique shape of the grip area... seems consistent anyway. That said, I don't know anything about SJ&D revolvers other than they are not seen much. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for something to search on now!

I’m thinking about trying to clean it up to see if there is any i’d marks.

·
Registered
20,002 Posts
The vaguely Francotte-style lever on the right-hand side of the frame, added to the grip shape and bulldog/constabulary layout of the gun as a whole leads me to believe it was possibly a Belgian revolver built for export to hardware stores and the like.

You see this a lot with cheaper Belgian exports - slightly French, slightly English, and with a grip frame that splits the difference without being completely unpalatable to Americans.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
You could wander around on the Littlegun sight.
First drill fown through the known Belgian makers.

Then check out the other nation link and drill down thru English, French and Spanish gun makers.

Sometimes the outline is a big clue.
This revolver has a well sculpted trigger.
Fixed cylinder as not a cylinder crane.
Most likely the cylinder axis pin doubled as the ejector rod reason for the large cap like knob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts