close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hide in plain sight

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Armorer, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Well I am updating a lot of my equipment. Most is 70's vintage. So I decided to update my ghille suit.

For those who don't know who or what a ghillie is. It seemed a game warden many years ago found out he could shred burlap and tint it, make a suit to wear it the forest and catch pouchers!

Well now a days, there is a fine art to making one, and all kinds of friends on the net to give you what you need and take your money.

Of course I am not a game warden (nor a poucher), but a lover of the great outdoors and nature watcher :) (yeah thats the ticket).

Sometimes the Mrs. and I just don't want to be seen be the animals we are admiring, or pesky humans.

I have been studying making a modern ghille for about a month or so now.

Burlap is out, Jute is in. Lots of cool web sites for you to visit, and learn about the craft. BTW I didn't even know exsisted two months ago.

For the finest PRO suit kits your money can buy go to:

http://www.ghillie.net/

Mike is a super guy, knows his stuff.

If you want to spend a little less (get less too), and build yourself a home spun ghille out of everyday items and thier kit, go to:

http://www.ghilliesuits.com/

Tracy was great to deal with.

Anyone else is a waste of time. I have spent less than $200 and have enough stuff to build three suits.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Used to use ghillie suits on our Reforger exercises in Germany, pretty cool.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Never understood why it was called ReForGer. Return of what Forces to Germany? Half the US Army is stationed there already!

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I questioned that once myself. 1ST sgt just shugged his shoulders and told me to get back behind that .30 cal.

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    going to Germany this fall 3rd trip. Love the country. No Ghillie suit just wrenches, bloody knuckles and good beer!

oops, sorry, 4th trip. Glad wife knows me better than i do

6. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Reforger! Man I used to love that. I loved the smell of C.S. in the morning! Heck all the time there!

That may be the last time I used a ghillie for what it was intended for :)

NRAJoe, we must be cut from the same cloth.

Err G.P. small canvas that is!