Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking that if.. It Hit The Fan..but not too hard and government decided to confiscate my wheapons and hunting implements. My decision might be, to let them take what they will. Live to fight another day.
But.... have an ace in the hole.
Wandering how I might prep the gun I've already chosen (one there is no record of) for long storage, along with all I would need for it. And also some Ideas in storage methods.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,493 Posts
IF it ever got to that then it's time to start using them.

Anything else is just putting off the inevitable And causing you needless worry over the whys and hows. Might as well get things over with.

Having said that, it's not a bad idea to have a stash of guns and ammo--more somewhere secure at a place you might not be at all of the time as in place assets--and somewhere they won't get discovered and stolen (which is the major threat).

Zerust capsules work well for long term storage (as do other VOC type things--even for safes). Ammo cans (the good GI sealing ones) I've found to be the best and convenient ways to store ammo that can keep them dry (which is important). You can add desiccant to them as well.

Monovaults can be used in dank places (loaded outside of them in a place when dry) and zerust capsules and/or desiccant placed in them to keep things corrosion free. The large PVC idea works too. The idea is to keep water and condensing humidity out.

And the GOOD thing is many ammo shippers have deals on ammo where the can comes along free. So if you shoot and reload you have a free high-quality storage place.

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
As TXplt said, if things get THAT bad, it is time to USE firearms, not bury them.

If you want to put a firearm(s) in long term storage, and in a location that is difficult for anyone to find, here is what I would do:

1) Thoroughly clean firearm
2) Grease thoroughly, inside and out with RIG
3) Wrap in several layers of waxed paper
4) Then, wrap in several layers of Glad Wrap or Saran Wrap
5) Then, seal it in a Food Saver Storage bag (you can buy rolls that allow sealing long guns)
6) Then, seal it in a PVC pipe, with appropriate ammo filling in the "dead space" in the pipe
7) Then, bury it with Ends Vertical, with at least 3' of dirt above the top end
8) And, finally, shallow bury scraps of metal around the area for at least 6' on all sides of the firearm in the pipe

Make sure you have a foolproof way to identify EXACTLY where it's buried, or kiss it goodbye!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was actually thinking along the lines of the Virgin island Hurricane confiscation where the national guard confiscated U.S citizens guns temporally until the crisis was over.
Temporary meant 2 years later. I think I'd rather loose all but 1 well hidden gun, than go to jail, or die fighting a cause that was finally corrected in court. I have too many people depending on me.
I can't see me with my health, by myself fighting off 2 of our countries finest.Or fighting the hoard of soldiers that would come to aid, if I was successful, after answering the door unaware. This would not have a very good outcome.:(

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,493 Posts
As TXplt said, if things get THAT bad, it is time to USE firearms, not bury them.

If you want to put a firearm(s) in long term storage, and in a location that is difficult for anyone to find, here is what I would do:

5) Then, seal it in a Food Saver Storage bag (you can buy rolls that allow sealing long guns)
6) Then, seal it in a PVC pipe, with appropriate ammo filling in the "dead space" in the pipe
8) And, finally, shallow bury scraps of metal around the area for at least 6' on all sides of the firearm in the pipe

Make sure you have a foolproof way to identify EXACTLY where it's buried, or kiss it goodbye!
It doesn't substitute having the guns cleaned and oiled (or RIGged). But there are several companies who offer VOCs which inhibit corrosion. These are compounds which continuously emit corrosion inhibiting vapors and work quite well (I have them in my safe and cabinets). In fact, they make polymer bags impregnated with the stuff for the same purpose. They're not very expensive and available online. You can put the firearm in the bag, or you can put the compound capsule itself in your mono vault, ammo can, or PVC pipe. This works no matter where you put them and regardless of length of storage (although keeping things sealed up maximizes the effectiveness of the anti-corrosion compound). It's ammo safe as well meaning that the VOCs don't have an adverse effect if ammo's in there as well.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of good ideas to consider. I like the idea of burial.
PVC or just plane Pipe, sounds like the way to go.
May-bee dipping in paraffin for double protection, or vacuum bagging.
Was also thinking in an urban setting Pipe could be installed as mock water or sewer line, or even a vent pipe. A kind of easy access, hidden in plain sight thing.
Or, how about hiding a rifle in the pipe bumper of your truck,or in a role cage.
All kinds of Ideas Springing forth.:)

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
........Was also thinking in an urban setting Pipe could be installed as mock water or sewer line, or even a vent pipe. A kind of easy access, hidden in plain sight thing.........
Metal detectors and x-ray machines would find the guns on a sweep, if they are in PVC.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Go to a garage and get several quarts of brake drum turnings. Scatter these turning around the general area of the buried gun. If someone tried to find the gun, with a metal detector the filings will give them so many false marks they will give-up in disgust. Also make a campfire over that spot and burn some steel cans there. Bury the burnt cans. The rust will migrate into the soil and again it will give someone so many false signals, when they see the wood ash from the fire they will just a rusty pile of old cans and walk away.

·
Premium Member
11,300 Posts
Note- in a previous post. I wrote that SWVA Arms had 5.56 ammo cans. The cans are actually for 7.62. Just wanted to correct that, in case anyone was interested.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,973 Posts

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,493 Posts
A lot of good ideas to consider. I like the idea of burial.
PVC or just plane Pipe, sounds like the way to go.
May-bee dipping in paraffin for double protection, or vacuum bagging.
Was also thinking in an urban setting Pipe could be installed as mock water or sewer line, or even a vent pipe. A kind of easy access, hidden in plain sight thing.
Or, how about hiding a rifle in the pipe bumper of your truck,or in a role cage.
All kinds of Ideas Springing forth.:)
Metal detectors and x-ray machines would find the guns on a sweep, if they are in PVC.
The biggest threat is probably YOU (or your heirs) losing track of where you put stuff. No matter what form of storage you had.

Then again it could be a real world treasure map and hunt for them :)

But the most important thing to keep in mind is the only useful guns to YOU are the ones you have near YOU and are ready to go. Pre positioned ones might be great for others and if you get to a place, but that doesn't help you NOW.

And having a good gun (or guns) ready is a NOW kind of thing.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The biggest threat is probably YOU (or your heirs) losing track of where you put stuff. No matter what form of storage you had.

Then again it could be a real world treasure map and hunt for them :)

But the most important thing to keep in mind is the only useful guns to YOU are the ones you have near YOU and are ready to go. Pre positioned ones might be great for others and if you get to a place, but that doesn't help you NOW.

And having a good gun (or guns) ready is a NOW kind of thing.
I always have my CARRY and am never more than 5 min away from a personal stash at all times and have enough guns and ammo to outfit my family and at least 2 guests but...
To explained the idea of my original post better..
It was to hide the gun, along with all nessesities, spare parts ect. One nobody knows I have, except for my son.. As a back up. A last ditch ace in the hole,so to speek.
JUst in case I were to be in a position where I had no choice but to give up all my weapons and had no scenario in which I had a chance to change that.Or say I was killed and all weapons taken my son would still have one if he so chose.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts

#8, is that to throw off anyone that might be searching with a metal detector?

I always have my CARRY and am never more than 5 min away from a personal stash at all times and have enough guns and ammo to outfit my family and at least 2 guests but...
To explained the idea of my original post better..
It was to hide the gun, along with all nessesities, spare parts ect. One nobody knows I have, except for my son.. As a back up. A last ditch ace in the hole,so to speek.
JUst in case I were to be in a position where I had no choice but to give up all my weapons and had no scenario in which I had a chance to change that.Or say I was killed and all weapons taken my son would still have one if he so chose.
I like your train of thought here. it could be invaluable to have that one "ACE in the hole". especially in some sort of confiscation scenario.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just had a gallon paint can of Cosmoline given to me, by a friend that used to do undercoating.Think I have a use for it. Wondering if I could just brush it.
Also wondering if it will hurt PLASTIC in the long run.If so, the PLASTIC could be swaped out for wood and, or, metal. It also could be removed and stored another way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts