close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High and right

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JackT, Jul 8, 2002.

1. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

I bought a winchester a few months back with a 44 Inland barrell. The rear sight base does not seemed lined up and needs to move left before pinging again. However, even with sight adjustments it shoots 3 inches high and right at 50 yards. An experienced Garand armorer told me the barrell was tightened too much at the rebuild and needs to be loosend a few thousands. Also, at the Garand match last month, every Carbine rear sight I saw was moved all the way over to the left. Any one else have this problem and know how to fix it? Thanks

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I've heard this is a common problem. The fixes I've heard/seen range from accepting them as they are to cryogenically freezing the barreled action. No one is really sure why, and I can only offer what worked for me. I have a carbine that had the barrel torqued in too tight, too. I ended up replacing the barrel assembly and it worked out great. Otherwise, the front sight would have been canted if I had had the barrel backed out a little.
    Sorry it's not much, but it may help a little.....

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I've also heard this can be due to a slightly bent barrel,apparently carbine barrels are fairly easy to bend. Might have that checked first,and I guess you can have it straightened. Calvin's right,no one seems to know for sure.

4. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info. Anyone know of a decent guy to work on the carbine in the Atlanta area? Thanks again

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

High and right..hmmm I got a good joke for this thread but i'll let it go...carry on!

6. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Come on tell all.

7. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Finally found a guy to work on carbines. The barrell is not bent. I did find something in Ruth and Duff that is consistent with what Hook Boutin (best M1- rifle guy ever) told me. See p. 126 When rebarreling, "ingore the witness marks on the barrell and receiver and and set the flat surfaces of the barrell and receiver parallel using machinest parallels and a strong light." My barrel was fitted the witness marks, but is not parallel to the receiver and needs to backed out. I bet all those high and right shooting carbines may be due to bad rebarrell jobs

8. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info Jack,you could very well be right. I'll remember that.