close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

high point just for target

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tommy, Apr 25, 2002.

1. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i was thinkin of gettin a 9 mm high point for target shootin i know they don't have a good rep but i am not rich. and it is just for at the range i got a .44 for home defense. but i see those high point accurized 9mm for 150 to 170 and just for messin around it can't be that bad . or is it ? i 'd like to hear ya'll coments

2. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

Get the Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine, fun, accurate and cheap :)

3. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i like those carbines but i can't shoot to many times with a rifle (to many neck sugeries) thats why i tend to stick to pistols for shootin at the range. i let my son shoot the rifles and i watch him. not quite as fun but it will have to do for now. he likes the pistols to and was sking about a 9mm but i'm not that rich( fixed income).and it is some thing we can both shoot.

4. Bryan Williams

a 9mm carbine dont kick at all, and plus they are fun to shoot from the hip. From the two hi-points I have personally shot (9mm carbine and pistol) they seem like fine little firearms for the money.

5. Bryan Williams

oh and one more thing, if he likes rifles pick him up a M44 Nagant, cheap and a blast to shoot (no pun intended)

6. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

it ain't just the kick it is bending my neck to aim i am fused in too areas of my neck 6/7 and 3/4 disci allmost have a solid bone from the shoulders on up and any bending or twisting cause sever pain and head aches. so what is this m44 i'm interested sounds good. allthough i never shot a gun and didn"t have fun they all fun to shoot:cheer: :jet:

7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I have 2 Hi-Point Pstols and the carbine and I have never had any problems what soe ever with feedign of accuricy... I like them. They get bea up on a lot of boards..cheep cant be good arugment...but from what I read the people who own/shoot them never have problems...course I find it kinda funny to read a lot of post about the expensive pistols needing to be adjusted ie fixed and re enginaneerd to work worth a hoot. My wife has the 380 and it is great. I have the 45 pistol that is their origianl design (10 or so years old) that I picked up for $75 and keept in the trunk of my car...never feild striped it (until 2 months ago) just ran a patch down the barrel and added oil... it just keeps on shooting. I mean what more can you ask from a pistol.

8. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i hear ya doglips people have problems with the best guns in the world. for the price the high point ain't that bad for a target gun.i heard that they are't that safe but i wouldn't be keepin it loaded. it wouldn't be a priority weapon if you know what i mean. just a plinker.:gangster:

9. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

In answer to what an M44 is, it's a Mosin Nagant with a shorter barrel. The ammo is pretty similar ballistically to a 30-06. I hear the M44 has quite a muzzle blast and recoil.

10. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

sounds like a little too much power for me right now. maybe if they fix my neck . but as for now it is a littlr e to much:(

11. Bryan Williams

Tommy and BattleRifle, the M44 kicks like a mule, burps fire like a dragon and roars like thunder.

I apologize Tommy, I totally wasnt thinking about the recoil on your neck. If you ever get it fixed an M44 would definately become you and your son's favorite lil rifle. The only bad thing is they are addictive. Start out with an M44, get another M44, then a M91/30, and so on.

12. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i hear ya i got a sar1 and 22 marlin .44 rossiand variuse other shot guns but that m44 sounds like it would put me in traction for a while he he . the only ones i shoot are the .44 and the .22

13. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Tommy..did not read the post that well...was nodding off..
    I tend to find my self as the defender of Hi-Point .. realy wish they would send some $$ to the defense fund :)...
    I like my Hi-points and keep all but 1 of my firearms loaded at all times...an unloaded firearm is a very poorly designed club...The only reason I have 1 unloaded firearm is that its a Nigant revolver and the ammo at the local store was $50 for 40 rounds...and I keep forgeting to order the converson cylender. I do not keep a round in the chamber of any of my Auto loaders..rifles or pistols for safty reasons.. I have never had a problem with the HP going off unless I pulled the triger...They have saftys and are like any other firearm.. Ive heard people talk bad about them being made of zink aloy and saposaly wear out quick...My 45 is 10+ years old and I make it a point to shoot 200 rounds a month from my primary weapons. MY hi-point is keept close at hand alsong with my CZ-52 and my Wifes Star 9mm and HP 380... I trust them because after many many rounds they contiue to function..feed and fire as xpected...

14. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i hear ya doglops i never owned one i would like to own one of each gun some two of each .i like them all.:target:

15. geetartuna

geetartuna G&G Newbie

I am new to this sight and Hi-Point guns.I have been looking for an affordable large cal. handgun,and heard nice things about H.P.guns.I really want the .45 model,but am also considering the 9mm.C model.I just dont have quite enough information to make up my mind yet. The price is awesome if they are as good as I hear!

16. Research this site and you will find various opinions. I personally like the Hi-Point as far as having the best warranty in the industry, affordability, and so far, reliability. I have owned 3 and never had any problems.

If you are looking at an affordable large cal, also look into the Bersa line. They have a nice .45.

17. makarovnik

makarovnik G&G Newbie

Sorry to hear about you neck tommy. Several months ago I had two levels fused in my neck as well. I told the doctor I didn't want the surgery if I couldn't fire my shotgun. He said I could and I would only loose about 20% range of motion. I went to PT afterwards and I lost more like 30-40%. It is a real bummer because I was a decent trap shooter before. Now the recoil and bending is just too much. I'm thinking about putting raised combat sights on my shotgun so I won't have to bend as much. Some rifles have tall sights and are easier on a fused neck. Especially if they have a scope.

If ammo cost isn't a concern I prefer the Hi-Point .45acp. They seem to have less jamming issues and are fun to shoot. The Hi-Point 9mm compact is okay but for another $25-$50 you might find a good Makarov. The CZ52's are still going for about $120 and ammo isn't all that expensive. makarov.com has lots or upgraded parts for these and they are fun to shoot (real flame throwers).

I'll let you know how my shotgun sights work for my neck. Unfortunately your fusion can't be reversed but the new disc implants should be approved in about one year. I need more surgery and I'm trying to hold out for one of those.

18. I both sell and shoot hipoints, and they are great little guns. they are ugly, but the "bad reputation" they have is only among gun snobs who have never shot one. I have a .45 with over 1,000 rounds through it without a single jam or any problem...plus they carry a lifetime warrenty.
    Here is a great review from shooting times:
    Hi-Point Firearms
    Bob

19. 454PB

454PB G&G Regular

I bought a HiPoint in .40 S&W. Though I haven't had any trouble with it, it is a really cheap gun. Mine digests my handloads and home cast bullets without a hitch, and is as accurate as your typical Ruger P series. Disassembly is a PITA, and reassembly more so.

In my opinion, as a plinker it's worth the money. However, it's not the gun I'd keep under my bed for intruders.

20. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i would put my life in the hands of a high point anyday! as for warrantys go to thier web sight look in the testimonials read the one about the highpoint getting burned up in a fire and not even being able to tell what it was and they totally rebuilt it . well tell you the trueth i think they sent me a new gun . well thats a true story i have pictures of the gun before and after.i think it took them 3/4 weeks turn around from the time i sent it to them and i was a second hand owner and didn't even have th serial number on the gun. thats why i can't say if it's the original gun or not.so when they say if your gun gets broken or destryed for anyreason they will fix it or replace it free of charge (THEY MEAN IT).they even sent me an extra mag infact it came with everything newin a new box.