close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High power

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MarkII 22, Aug 19, 2002.

1. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

I'm thanking about getting a nother pistel. How good is the browning high power 9MM and how good is the 9MM in general will it say take a good big dog or a couger out with full metel jackett buletts or would it have to be HPs? And would a 45ACP be that much better or would the 9MM be just as good

Last edited: Aug 20, 2002
  2. You have a lot of questions there but here goes: The Brownng Hi Power is an excellent pistol. I have owned one for years and it is one of the most accurate centerfire pistols that I own. As for the 9mm hitting a cougar I would have to say I would rather have something else. I am a big big fan of the .45acp but I am not so sure I would want that either. I have other guns that I could carry for this scenerio. For cougar country I would carry my Coonan .357 auto. Now back to the Browning, if you can I would recomend one highly. They do make them in 40 cal and although I have never personally shot one I think that mught be the perfect cartridge for this weapon. Good luck and hope this helps.

3. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

My wife owns a Hi power in 9mm. She loves it. but carries a baby Glock due to size. The Hi power is an excellent weapon, though relatively expensive. As stated by Roy, Browning does make the gun in .40SW which is a happy medium between 9mm and 45ACP. As for taking out a cougar or a dog, they're resiliant creatures. I wouldn't not want a 9mm for that. As for the FMJ vs HP question, anytime you are not just plinking you should carry Hp's due to the legalities involved with through and through wounds. A Hp will expand and put on the breaks much faster than a FMJ. A Hp will also create a much bigger wound channel, which in turn will help stop the threat more quickly....

Last edited: Aug 21, 2002
  4. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

Hi-Power

Having carried and used a Hi-Power for 34 years, I would trust it with a dog hands down. I have killed 2 running cyotes with my Hi-Power, first was 1 shot at about 10 yds from a car and 2nd was 2 at about 25 yds from a kneeling position. Both with hollow points. For a large cat I'd rather have a rifle, but don't think the browning would fail me even tho it might take 2 or 3 shots, depending on circumstances.
    Sarge

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the hi power is an excellent handgun. i own both a 9mm, & a 40s&w-both very accurate, and reliable. if i had to kill something, be it a cat, dog or 2 legged vermin i would definately take the 40 over the nine, but that doesnt mean the 9mm wont do the job !

6. I agree with the other posts. The Hi-Power is an excellent gun in either 9mm or .40 S&W. It's a lot thinner around the slide than the Glock 9mm which is helpful when tucking the gun into the waistband for concealed carry. Hogue makes a good pair of soft rubber replacment stocks, but the factory wood isn't bad.
    My Hi-Power will feed every bullet shape I've ever tried, including hollowpoints and Glasers. I don't carry FMJ and don't recommend FMJ for anything other than practice.

7. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

I got one in 40 S & W and like it very much. The only thing I have shot with it is Paper, but it is very accurate and easy to clean. The fit and finish are great and I plan on carrying it if I get a CCW.

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Anyone know what the 400 Cor Bon would do for this application? It has about as much energy as a 10mm.

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

my dealer is going to order my 9mm Hi Power from CDNN Monday :wave: :right:

10. gunssb

gunssb G&G Newbie

Are new hi-powers made in the US ?

11. The FN/Browning hi-power has been the trusted sidearm of most NATO countries - and alot of others - for many years. I don't think you could go wrong.

12. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

last I heard they were discontinued..and to answer your question the parts were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal